Greg's Reviews > On Bullshit

On Bullshit by Harry G. Frankfurt

Dec 23, 2011

bookshelves: philosophy
Read on May 11, 2012

When setting out to read a scholarly philosophical work on the nature of "bullshit," I expected some degree of humor. But I thought that this humor would solely come from the process of reading a boring essay where I happen to get to read the word bullshit regularly. But this essay was funny, like really really funny. At first I thought it was unintentional, but as I went along I started thinking that it was just too perfectly crafted to be unintentional humor. And yet, at the same time, Frankfurt elucidates a really import feature of human communication. The conceptual issues surrounding the nature of bullshit end up being far more important than you ever imagined.

This was a fantastic little book, and I promise, I'm not bullshitting you when I say that.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read On Bullshit.

03/03/2016 marked as: read

Manny I agree! This is how philosophy should be, but so rarely is!

Greg Well, I think you and I have some differing views on philosophy. I happen to think there's a lot of really amazing philosophy in the 20th century, beyond Wittgenstein!

I also think that there's a limit to where conceptual analysis gets us in philosophy, as I've recently banged my head against in the field of metaethics. Along with that, I think there has been too much of a focus on language (i.e. - the strong connection between language and metaphysics, and even mind) in 20th century philosophy.

But we definitely agree on bullshit.

Manny Amen to that! :)