Aubrey's Reviews > Phantom

Phantom by Susan  Kay

Dec 23, 2011

bookshelves: favorites
Read in December, 2011

This book was amazing! It was a very emotional roller-coaster. It was very intriguing to watch how Kay unfolded the secret story of Erik, Le Fantome de l'Opera. I, when I read Leroux's novel, had the same issue as Kay did. Nothing was described and it left me with a lot of questions such as little ones like, "How, exactly, did Erik get his name?" or deeper ones like, "Did Christine ever really love Erik? Or was it really just pity and fear?" Kay answered all of the questions for me.

This book, as I mentioned previously, was an emotional roller-coaster. I often found myself on the brink of tears, or angry beyond belief. I watched as my heart broke with Erik, as my anger rose with Erik, as I cried with Erik. It was amazing how Kay managed to get me, as the reader, to relate with the characters, not only Erik, throughout the book. I felt confused with Christine, I felt over-protective with Erik, I felt possessive with Ayesha, et cetera. Kay was amazing at getting me to relate with the characters so well, and I think that is one of the key factors in a book.

I would recommend this book to anyone; book fans and musical fans alike. It honestly doesn't matter which you prefer, you will like this book no matter what. You don't even have to be familiar with Leroux's novel or the musical. Background might help, but it's not necessary to enjoy this book. I would give this book 10 stars, if I could.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Phantom.

Quotes Aubrey Liked

“None of us can choose where we shall love...”
Susan Kay, Phantom

“And it's really very difficult to kill someone when all your inner instincts would oblige you to take off your hat first!”
Susan Kay, Phantom

“My mind has touched the farthest horizons of mortal imagination and reaches ever outward to embrace infinity. There is no knowledge beyond my comprehension, no art or skill upon this entire planet that lies beyond the mastery of my hand. And yet, like Faust, I look in vain, I learn in vain. . . . For as long as I live, no woman will ever look on me in love.”
Susan Kay, Phantom

“Is the mask magic?" he demanded with sudden, passionate interest.
"Yes." I bowed my head, so that our eyes no longer met. "I made it magic to keep you safe. The mask is your friend, Erik. As long as you wear it, no mirror can ever show you the face again."
He was silent then and when I showed him the new mask he accepted it without question and put it on hastily with his clumsy, bandaged fingers. But when I stood up to go, he reacted with panic and clutched at my grown.
"Don't go! Don't leave me here in the dark."
"You are not in the dark," I said patiently. "Look, I have left the candle ..."
But I knew, as I looked at him, that it would have made no difference if I had left him fifty candles. The darkness he feared was in his own mind and there was no light in the universe powerful enough to take that darkness from him.
With a sigh of resignation I sat back on the bed and began to sing softly; and before I had finished the first verse, he was asleep.
The bandages on his hands and wrists showed white and eerie in the candle-light, as I eased my skirts from his grasp.
I knew that Marie was right.
Physically and mentally, I had scarred him for life.”
Susan Kay, Phantom

“Killing is like riding, you see. One never really loses the knack.”