Erica's Reviews > Autism's False Prophets: Bad Science, Risky Medicine, and the Search for a Cure

Autism's False Prophets by Paul A. Offit

Dec 23, 2011

bookshelves: stanford
Read in December, 2011

I'm giving this four stars not for the writing (it was fine, but as with his other books, could get a little dry at points), but for the point-by-point explanation of the absolute lack of proof of a connection between autism and vaccines. Every possible shred of "evidence" claiming vaccines or their components cause autism is completely disproven in multiple ways. It's heartbreaking to read how alternative "cures" for autism not only do nothing but actually harm and in some cases even kill children--at some points, I had to stop reading because I got so angry. But I appreciated the thoroughness of the book, and I now feel like I can engage in conversation with others about the subject and actually know what I'm talking about. I can only hope that this gets through to people who are debating about vaccinating their kids and really convinces them of the truth.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Autism's False Prophets.