Evan Nelson's Reviews > Streaming Systems

Streaming Systems by Tyler Akidau

U 50x66

There's no question that this is the most comprehensive, up-to-date book about modern streaming systems. I would strongly recommend it to anyone who works on (or is interested in) this area. Also, as a minor suggestion, consider reading chapter 10 (the last chapter) early on -- say, after chapter 1 or 2.

First, let me say my main criticism: the book is chock-full of errata. My colleagues and I found nearly a dozen errors of various sorts. Not just typos, but examples with incorrect numbers or mislabeled axes, which are critical stumbling blocks for the reader trying to understand the algorithms presented. We submitted errata reports for everything we found so hopefully a second edition will correct these issues.

That aside, the book has a lot to recommend it. The content was exactly what I was hoping for and was explained fairly well. The 10th chapter that summarizes the history of streaming systems was very useful for giving context to anyone like me who has only been working in the area for a couple years. Perhaps the best thing is the animated charts (available free from the companion website) that help to illustrate the techniques. This was invaluable, especially for the watermarking chapter.

A strong thumbs up from me, marred only by the large number of errata that will hopefully be fixed by a second edition.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Streaming Systems.

August 23, 2018 – Started Reading