Diane S ☔'s Reviews > His Favorites

His Favorites by Kate Walbert

DEVASTATING BUT TIMELY. Three young girls, fifteen, drinking, decide on a lark, stealing a golf cart for a wild, nighly ride, that has a horrific end. Enough so a mother feels the urgent need to give her daughter a new start, sending her away to a boarding school. What she encounters there will haunt her for the rest of her life.

The me too movement, the abuse scandals in the Catholic Church, people entrusted with power of one sort or another, instead use it for their own gain. Preying on the weakest, able somehow to suss them out of s crowd. This book, relatively short, shows just how it's done. Teenage girls, wanting to be popular, part of the in crowd, ignoring the little voice that tells them it is wrong. Bullying, of one who is different, doesn't fit with the crowd, so heartbreaking.

Believe me, this small book packs a punch. Beautiful prose, direct, alternating between the before and after. Hard to read, but necessary I think if one has daughters or granddaughters. If the grown women in the Me too movement found themselves victimized, what chance do the young have?

ARC from Edelweiss.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read His Favorites.

August 22, 2018 – Started Reading
August 22, 2018 – Shelved
August 23, 2018 –
page 40
August 27, 2018 –
page 80
August 28, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)

message 1: by Angela M (new)

Angela M Terrific review, Diane.

message 2: by Karen (new)

Karen Great review Diane!

message 3: by Diane (new) - added it

Diane Barnes Nice review, convincing me to read it. I have read others by Kate Walbert that I really enjoyed.

message 4: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Excellent review Diane 😊

message 5: by Jen (new)

Jen Nice review, Diane. Sounds disturbing :(

Diane S ☔ Thank you, Angela, Karen, Diane, Maureen and Jen.

Diane, think this is the first I've read by this author.

Kristin (KC) - Traveling Sister Nice review, Diane!

Diane S ☔ Thanks, Kristin!

message 9: by Sharon (new) - added it

Sharon Metcalf Excellent review Diane. Okay, I'm tempted!

message 10: by Libby (new)

Libby Great review Diane! Your very powerful question that you ask at the end, makes me reflect on how important it is what these women are doing in the Me too movement. I've heard some men come forward as well; important for them also.

Diane S ☔ Thank you, Sharon. Lol!

Thanks, Libby and I couldn't agree more!

message 12: by Debra (new)

Debra Wonderful review, Diane.

Diane S ☔ Thanks much, Debra.

message 14: by Cheri (new)

Cheri Excellent review, Diane. Your closing comment / question really got to me!

message 15: by JanB (new)

JanB Excellent ending question Diane and since I have both daughters and granddaughters plus a daughter-in-law, I'm adding.

Diane S ☔ Thank you, Cheri and Jan.

message 17: by Fran (new)

Fran Diane....what a powerful review! Great job!

Diane S ☔ Thanks much, Fran.

message 19: by Esil (new)

Esil Fabulous review, Diane. And the book sounds timely indeed.

message 20: by debra (new)

debra Great review, Diane. I was wondering if there is detailed sexual abuse in this. I can take knowing it happened , but not detailed description. Thanks, Diane. I hope you are feeling well. All Best