Shannon (aka The Tale Temptress)'s Reviews > Where It Began

Where It Began by Ann Redisch Stampler

Dec 22, 2011

bookshelves: debut-author-challenge
Read in March, 2012

This story surprised me on a couple different levels. First of all, the story is told alternately between then and now. I thought, at first, oh boy, this is going to be confusing. But the author handled this switch back and forth so skillfully that it didn't pull me out of the story or confuse me at all.

Gabby is faced with some challenges here and earns a new strength as she journeys through this situation. I love watching a character's journey as they grow and change to meet what's happening to them, and you definitely saw this with Gabby.

I wanted to kick the crap out of her mother on more than one occassion. In most scenes Gabby has with her mother, I just couldn't help but think that some people don't deserve to be, and should never be, parents.

There were a few surprises in this story for me, some I saw coming, and some I didn't. Bottom line, the story was very good, a fast read that kept me interested. The author's writing style was so good... I love this kind of deep-heart narrative that really strips barriers away, where you truly feel like you're in the person's head. Some of the writing was so beautiful.

A great debut by author Ann Redisch Stampler. Definitely someone to watch for!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Where It Began.