Bryn Hammond's Reviews > A History of Russia, Central Asia and Mongolia, Volume I: Inner Eurasia from Prehistory to the Mongol Empire

A History of Russia, Central Asia and Mongolia, Volume I by David Christian

bookshelves: steppe-history, website-widget

He has gone on to help invent Big History. He always thought big: this, perhaps more than any other book, explains how and why the steppe was different from the start. You'd never know what's in there by the title.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A History of Russia, Central Asia and Mongolia, Volume I.

Finished Reading
December 22, 2011 – Shelved
December 22, 2011 – Shelved as: steppe-history
October 26, 2012 – Shelved as: website-widget

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by Ahmed (new) - added it

Ahmed Having started reading this, and so far really liking it, I was very excited to hear that he's still working on volume two and hopes it'll be done in a couple of years. (Knowing life I'm mentally doubling that :) https://mobile.twitter.com/davidgchri...

Bryn Hammond That is terrific news to me. What's more, it can only be better for the wait. Thanks for the tweet.

message 3: by Julie (new)

Julie Bozza Cool bananas! I came to see if you knew this book already. He is giving the annual lecture at the ISAA Conference this year. :-)

message 4: by Bryn (last edited Feb 26, 2017 01:34AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bryn Hammond Julie wrote: "Cool bananas! I came to see if you knew this book already. He is giving the annual lecture at the ISAA Conference this year. :-)"

Excellent. I lived so close to his workplace when I was fruitfully using his book (he taught at Macquarie in Ryde, just up the road...) Glad to see him gracing the Independent Scholars. -- By the way, their website about his conference talk has told me his #2 to this is due in 2017. He made such intriguing promises in the forward to #1 about his themes that I decided I absolutely need to hear what he has to say post-Mongol, for my Three. Luckily, we both took a loooooonnnnnnnnnggggggg time about our books, and he (may) get in ahead of me.