Claudia's Reviews > So What Do They Really Know?: Assessment That Informs Teaching and Learning

So What Do They Really Know? by Cris Tovani

Dec 22, 2011

bookshelves: 2011-book-challenge-150-books, professional-reading

Oh, my. Do I love this woman! Tovani IS a teacher...her stories are grounded in her practice. She talks about things that really happen. This book is all about assessment...she and I both groan and wince when we hear the word "assessment". But she has made it work by concentrating on what she can control -- formative assessment of what's important to her and her students.

I appreciated her ideas for self reflection and the conversations she has with her students with her stickies...

She challenges all teachers to ground our assessment in our beliefs about teaching and learning, in our beliefs about our kids and their capabilities.

she signed my book: "I want to teach with you." Great line, I'm sure she signs all books this way. But, man, do I want to teach with her. She loves her students, she loves teaching...she is a master teacher.

I'll be working on making my own beliefs about assessment public.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read So What Do They Really Know?.

12/22/2011 page 133
80.61% "I respect Tovani so much...she's a real teacher"