Zoe Haverstein's Reviews > Awaken

Dec 22, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: kcls, read-in-2011, reviewed-2011, dystopia, young-adult
Read from December 25 to 26, 2011

I was really intrigued by the premise of this book and was excited to see what Katie Kacvinsky would create. I think my favorite part of this book was the world itself. The question of how technology affects people's lives and how it can go too far is a great concept for a book. It is a very relevant and timely topic. We see the expansion of technology around us daily and because of that I feel this story really gives the reader something applicable to think about while reading.

I enjoyed the description of how people's daily lives are affected, what changes have occurred, the history of how it all happened, etc. I felt like I understood how we got from today into this world in 2060. There were some beautiful writing moments and memorable lines throughout the book.

I liked Maddie right from the beginning, unfortunately that declined some half way through the book. The strong, independent, intelligent girl in the beginning becomes more whiny, lost, and displaced as we go on. Her early explorations as she become "unplugged" were great. However, I felt the second part of the book continues to address this issue and it becomes a little old. I hope Maddie finds her way back to being a character worth following.

I wanted to like Justin more than I did, which was probably one of the big letdowns. The spark between them wasn't there enough for me and his character just felt detached most of the time. I enjoyed many of the supporting characters like Clare, her parents, Justin's parents, etc.

Overall, it was an interesting read with a thought-provoking concept. I will continue the series to see where things go.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Awaken.