Kali Napier's Reviews > Giants of the Frost

Giants of the Frost by Kim Wilkins

bookshelves: aww2018

I really enjoyed Giants of the Frost by Kim Wilkins. The story takes place in two realms: Asgard, where Odin, Thor, Loki and Vidar live, and in Midgard or the world of mortals. Victoria is a meteorologist, posted to Othinsey, a Scandinavian island. Her skepticism is tested through encounters with a hag, a draugr, and a stick figure in the forest who comes to warn her. Evil forces are gathering against her. In Asgard, Vidar is an outcast, bound to fulfill his destiny but waiting 1000 years for the return of his True Love on Odin's Island. The first part of this novel seems slow, but I was being drawn into the story by the clever plotting and world building. This was a story I kept wanting to dive back into, with a sense of glee at rejoining the characters as their stakes increased. The landscapes are dark, frosty, earthy. Events that seem random among the scientists at the weather station, become intertwined and part of the chain of fate. As Victoria muses, if not for x, y, and if not for y, z, and so on. Can fate be changed once it has been woven? Though I am not usually a fan of romance, I felt fully invested in this grand love story and was heartbroken at the choices and sacrifices made to change their destinies.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Giants of the Frost.

August 21, 2018 – Started Reading