Jill Miskin's Reviews > The Far Pavilions

The Far Pavilions by M.M. Kaye

Dec 22, 2011

Read from December 22, 2011 to January 08, 2012

I felt a little sad when I finished this book. I really enjoyed the setting and story. This book follows Ash-born in India to English parents. He spends the first several years of his childhood in India before going to England to be educated. Then he has the chance to return as part of the Guides, a military branch from England that worked with native soldiers. His perspective, having been a child of India is different from those of the fellow officers he serves with. The story goes through the much of the country of India and some of Afghanistan. It was one of those epic stories that is large in scope and not at all short. There is an element of romance that was occasionally interesting but held some inappropriateness as a warning. The beauty and brutality of the age is well illustrated along with prevailing attitudes about colonialism and the discrimination from all sides. This book isn't for the faint of heart, it is about a thousand pages long and is a time commitment. M.M. Kay wrote one of my favorite books-The Ordinary Princess-and that is what brought me to reading this book. I love her style of writing and I felt a good grasp of the places and people from her descriptions.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Far Pavilions.

08/28/2016 marked as: read