Bryn Hammond's Reviews > Battlefronts Real and Imagined: War, Border, and Identity in the Chinese Middle Period

Battlefronts Real and Imagined by Don J. Wyatt

Dec 22, 2011

bookshelves: steppe-history, website-widget

Great little book, “essentially a collection of highly illustrative case studies” around the subtitle themes: war, borders, identity. How these interact or “interlock”, to continue that quote from the introduction.

For example, from several 11th century essays, those on the Khitan Liao’s and the Tangut Xia’s wars with Song China make plain that “political recognition” was the main war aim of these independent states. ‘The Great Ditch of China’ by Peter Lorge looks in detail at how a century’s peace was achieved between the Khitan/Liao and Song China. It’s real peace & conflict studies as applied to 1005.

There’s also a fascinating study on ‘Crossing Borders with Occult Ritual in the Song Military’ – cosmographies of time and space (so Doctor Who).

From the 10th to the 13th centuries: perhaps a concentration on 11th and 12th. If you’re into frontier relations in this era, it’s a rich, close-focus book. I’ve run into a few of these New Middle Ages titles now, they’ve been creative and exciting… makes me wish I'd done my Medieval Studies since they came out. From the title list in here, this may be the only (or the first) East Asian one.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Battlefronts Real and Imagined.

Finished Reading