Nikki (Saturday Nite Reader)'s Reviews > Station Eleven

Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel

bookshelves: read-2018, sci-fi-dystopian

In this intricate, elegantly woven tale, the fate of five people at the end of civilization will connect in such a delicate, yet powerful way; some of them not ever meeting each other.

The setting starts the morning before the collapse of mankind: it will be said only 1% of the population will have survived. The years will start back to 0, as well as all the advances that were known to man. No more electricity, no more running water. It is said that those who have known the world pre and post collapse are most affected as they remember what it used to be like.

What remained? Art and music: a comic book, a traveling symphony, Shakespeare. Instead of playing the game Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon, it would be Six Degrees of Arthur Leander. The man who longed to escape the private island he originated, will yearn for that privacy for the rest of his life (although he may fool you and himself otherwise). His life will impact each of our five characters greatly.

How I felt while reading it:

What comes to mind is “slow and steady wins the race.” The writing is methodical and elegant, it may seem to be slowly moving along but I had this underlining feeling I was in the middle of the creep up behind you build up. I am so glad I went out of my reading comfort zone and picked up this book!

It was so profound that I know I must have missed some meaning or message within some of the stories. Or, I was looking way too hard and the answer was right where it was supposed to be. I actually loved that about this book. I am certain I will have a few a-ha moments long after finishing.

Also, to the woman who was sneezing on the Path train when I first started reading this book: I am sorry for the horrified look I gave you. You see, I was reading this book where everyone gets sick and I became hypersensitive to every sneeze and cough around me thinking you may be Patient Zero. Hope you feel better.

To read my reviews visit: www.saturdaynitereader.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Station Eleven.

August 21, 2018 – Started Reading