Alper Çuğun's Reviews > Winners Take All: The Elite Charade of Changing the World

Winners Take All by Anand Giridharadas

The book starts out fair and meandering but then by the end when he talks about the Clinton Global Initiative it becomes a truly searing indictment of the neoliberal ideology that is controlling everything around us.

I'd actually recommend you not to read this book if you want to keep dreaming and be glad every time you see Jeff Bezos or Bill Gates announce a donation for some good cause. Not understanding how those actions are a total sham will probably let you sleep much better at night.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Winners Take All.

Quotes Alper Liked

Anand Giridharadas
“How can there be anything wrong with trying to do good? The answer may be: when the good is an accomplice to even greater, if more invisible, harm.”

Anand Giridharadas
“For the aspiring thought leader, it is less important to have an undergirding of scholarly research than it is to be your idea—to perform and hawk it relentlessly.”

Anand Giridharadas
“If you want to be a thought leader and not dismissed as a critic, your job is to help the public see problems as personal and individual dramas rather than collective and systemic ones.”

Anand Giridharadas
“Leave us alone in the competitive marketplace, and we will tend to you after the winnings are won. The money will be spent more wisely on you than it would be by you. You will have your chance to enjoy our wealth, in the way we think you should enjoy it.”

August 21, 2018 – Shelved
June 16, 2019 – Started Reading
June 16, 2019 –
September 22, 2019 –
22.0% "„But if those problems were solved, you wouldn’t have much of a win-win business to grow.“

Incredibly grim and incredibly damning."
September 30, 2019 –
November 17, 2019 –
November 24, 2019 –
84.0% "“What if it was unfair and illegitimate for an unelected body to have any errors they make so widely influence societies and ramify into the lives of millions of people without the power, connections, and platforms to register their interests and talk back? What if reimagining the world in such rooms was, in fact, the business-smart thing to do but not the right thing to do?”"
November 24, 2019 – Finished Reading