Heather K (dentist in my spare time)'s Reviews > From Here to You

From Here to You by Jamie McGuire

did not like it
bookshelves: romance, read-to-review-arc, m-f, contemporary

I think I've officially outgrown Jamie McGuire.

I read Beautiful Disaster waaaay back in 2011 and enjoyed it, but I haven't read Jamie McGuire since my epic fails with Providence and Walking Disaster in 2013. Now I remember why.

From Here to You was tedious, cliched, and, worst of all, boring. God, if you read these books and you think that this is all that the romance world has to offer, I have news for you.

First of all, lemme talk about the insta-love. I want to bury insta-love with a shovel, but authors keep digging it up. Trex knew Darby, the super-hot waitress, was the one after one interaction. Though insta-love may be a real thing in real life, it just doesn't work in books, with VERY few exceptions. Just declaring oddly strong feelings for another person with no build-up seems creepy and not romantic in novels. Believe me.

Darby was the kind of female MC that drives me crazy. She is gorgeous and men just fall over themselves trying to protect and help her. She is helpless and never seemed to come into her own. I didn't like her overly sweet (like, fake-sweet) persona, and it couldn't relate to her at all. Her chemistry with Trex was... fine... but he felt like the savior and I'm over savior-romances.

I also wasn't expecting was the surprisingly Christian romance-feel. I did not realize that such a large chunk of this book would be about faith and God's plan, and as a non-Christian, I was not at all into that.

To top it off, I felt like I was missing something the whole time. Was there a prequel that I missed?? I was lost in a maze of characters that I felt like I should know, somehow, or that the author expected us to know intimately. It was irritating and off-putting.

I'll freely admit that I skimmed the second half of the book, and it never got any better for me. From Here to You was my last Jaime McGuire.

*Copy provided in exchange for an honest review*

goodreads|instagram|twitter|blog

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read From Here to You.

August 20, 2018 – Started Reading
August 23, 2018 – Shelved as: read-to-review-arc
August 23, 2018 – Shelved as: m-f
August 23, 2018 – Shelved as: contemporary
August 23, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)

message 1: by Fabi (new) - added it

Fabi omfg I'm taking this off my tbr RIGHT NOW. Thanks so much for sharing your review. Sorry you had to go through the reading first.

Corina☞BookTwinsReviews That’s what I fear is going to happen when I read it! I didn’t like her last release either 🙈 but I’ll give it try and we’ll see what happens!

Heather K (dentist in my spare time) Fabi wrote: "omfg I'm taking this off my tbr RIGHT NOW. Thanks so much for sharing your review. Sorry you had to go through the reading first."

Sometimes you have to try, try, try again ;)

Heather K (dentist in my spare time) Corina☞BookTwinsReviews wrote: "That’s what I fear is going to happen when I read it! I didn’t like her last release either 🙈 but I’ll give it try and we’ll see what happens!"

I hope you like it more than I did!

Jacquellyn I kinda loved the Christian vs atheist aspects of this book. And how the author didn’t make one of them change their views. They accepted each other. And yes the characters you probably thought you should know have been in most of her Beautiful Disaster series in the brothers books. So a kind of reunion for dedicated fans. Nice review tho! Sorry you didn’t like it, but appreciate your view point.

message 6: by LeLe (new) - rated it 1 star

LeLe Couldn’t have said it better. Totally agree.

Rebecca Spot. On. This book was boring as hell; and I forgot about the Christian aspect- which made me roll my eyes. Nope!!!

message 9: by Jamiere (new)

Jamiere Leslie I had the same reaction. I read her books when I was a sophomore in college and I liked most of them, but now trying to read her books again I can’t get into it. I tried to keep reading and just could not do it.

message 10: by Crystal (new)

Crystal Newton I completely agree. Her female characters are the worst. They’re terrible people and they always settle. The stories have gotten worse. Something about her writing always bothered me but I couldn’t put my finger on it. I saw her like a post sticking up for kavannagh. Although she’s allowed to have opinions her opinions do not align with wrong romance novels for women. So, I’m
Done with her. I’ll buy books by women who don’t actually hate other women.

message 11: by BananaBerry (new)

BananaBerry Oh, all things I hate: 1) insta-love - what is the rest of the book even about, if they’re already crazy in love by page 23?? and 2) too good to be true MCs. I’ve always been curious about Beautiful Disaster but the mixed reviews held me off. But will avoid this one for sure.

message 12: by Kini (new)

Kini I'm just now seeing this review. I had to nope out on this book after she TWICE mentioned characters having "Hispanic" accents.

Heather K (dentist in my spare time) BananaBerry wrote: "Oh, all things I hate: 1) insta-love - what is the rest of the book even about, if they’re already crazy in love by page 23?? and 2) too good to be true MCs. I’ve always been curious about Beautifu..."

I would skip it.

Heather K (dentist in my spare time) Kini wrote: "I'm just now seeing this review. I had to nope out on this book after she TWICE mentioned characters having "Hispanic" accents."

Oh, yikes...

message 15: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Woods Totally have outgrown her too - and really the entire NA romance m/f genre in general!

Heather K (dentist in my spare time) Lauren wrote: "Totally have outgrown her too - and really the entire NA romance m/f genre in general!"

Same.

Razzymomma Yes. It was incredibly boring and the excessive emphasis on how overwhelmingly beautiful the heroine was was eye roll-worthy.

Sophks 100% agree with this. This book was awful. It’s just so typically sexist and tedious.

Heather K (dentist in my spare time) Sophks wrote: "100% agree with this. This book was awful. It’s just so typically sexist and tedious."

Agreed.

message 20: by Jenna (new) - added it

Jenna Tomlinson Thanks for the honest review. Def not trying her again then. Nothing has worked for me since Beautiful Disaster....don’t ever pick up Red Hill....never ever ever....

message 21: by Christi (new)

Christi good review - I'll skip this one.

Trisha Bjorklund Couldn't even finish this book, and I was a huge Beautiful Disaster fan. Maybe I've outgrown her too!

Heather K (dentist in my spare time) Trisha wrote: "Couldn't even finish this book, and I was a huge Beautiful Disaster fan. Maybe I've outgrown her too!"

It's better to stay away at this point. It's just too hard to read.