jenjn79's Reviews > The Lost Duke of Wyndham

The Lost Duke of Wyndham by Julia Quinn

bookshelves: author-julia-quinn, 2009, info-full, genre-romance-historical-england, reviewed, published-2008, stars-4
Recommended to jenjn79 by: author I like

I wasn't quite sure what to expect from this book because though I've really enjoyed the other JQ books I've read, and she's a very popular historical romance author, I'd read a lot of mixed reviews of this series. So I ended up putting off reading this one for a while because I wasn't sure I'd like it. But I actually enjoyed the book a lot. I can't say I loved it, but it was rather good and I'm looking forward to reading the Thomas's reciprocal story.

The Lost Duke of Wyndham is about just that - a lost duke. Jack Audley was raised by his aunt and uncle after his parents were killed when their boat sank. After time in the army, he ended up a highwayman. Then one night he robs the coach of the dowager Duchess of Wyndham and her companion Grace Eversleigh. The dowager instantly sees that Jack is a lot like her middle son and immediately sets about finding out who he is. It turns out, she's right. Her son had gotten married and died before any of the Wyndham's could find out. Which means that Jack is the rightful heir to the Dukedom - not his cousin Thomas, who has been the Duke for years. Only, Jack wants no part of being a Duke. He wants Grace. From the first moment he wanted her, and though she knows it's wrong, she wants him. If Jack is the Duke, though, she knows she can't have him. A duke must marry someone his equal, not a lowly companion. But Jack will do anything to have Grace, to marry her. Anything.

One of the best parts of this book was the character of Jack. He was rather amusing with his witty comments and overall joviality. A lot of heroes in romance books tend to be dark and broody (which, nothing wrong with that! I love a good broody hero) so it's nice to read something different once in a while. And Jack was fun to read. Grace was a good character as well. She'd been deal a pretty lousy lot but was making the best of it. And she had some spunk to. She made a good match for Jack.

The romance between them builds fairly gradually through the book. There's a lot of chemistry and a few "almost" scenes, but it's not until near the end that they consummate the relationship. And that scene is really the only love scene. I wouldn't have minded a little more in that area. Not that the book needed a ton of sex, but there was all this build-up, then only one scene. It was a tad disappointing.

The storyline wasn't the most original, but Quinn tells it well. And the fact that she wrote a second book, told during the same time period but from Thomas's perspective is rather interesting and unique. I look forward to seeing how it works out once I read that one.

There's really not a lot of action in this book, or people just DOING stuff. It's mostly centered around Jack and whether or not he's the true duke and everyone's thoughts and feelings about it. So there is a little bit of monotony to it, but not so much I got bored. Just a vague feeling that I wanted SOMETHING to happen instead of the constant is he or isn't he the duke.

But overall, I enjoyed the book. It's more light-hearted than many historical romances I've read, and has a good dose of humor (as is normal with Quinn books). The characters (Thomas) intrigue me enough that I plan to read the 2nd book very soon. I'm curious to see how this dual telling of the story works out. I know many didn't care for the second book, but I'm going to give it a fair shot.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lost Duke of Wyndham.

June 20, 2008 – Shelved
January 9, 2009 – Shelved as: author-julia-quinn
February 16, 2009 –
page 205
55.26% "Enjoying this one a lot so far. Jack is a great character!"
Started Reading
February 17, 2009 –
page 371
100.0% "Review coming up!"
February 17, 2009 – Shelved as: 2009
February 17, 2009 – Shelved as: info-full
February 17, 2009 – Shelved as: genre-romance-historical-england
February 17, 2009 – Shelved as: reviewed
February 17, 2009 – Finished Reading
October 11, 2009 – Shelved as: published-2008
October 11, 2009 – Shelved as: stars-4

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Arch (new) - added it

Arch I have this book. Never read it yet.

Kathrynn I have this book, too. Need to read it. :-(