Blair's Reviews > Limbo

Limbo by Dan Fox

liked it
bookshelves: 2018-release, non-fiction, read-on-kindle

Limbo is a work born of writer's block. It sets out to explore the importance of inbetween states and interstitial spaces, providing along the way a brief cultural history of the concept of 'limbo'. Most interesting for me were the section about ghosts (of course) and the section about the limbo dance, which explains its origins. Traditionally it was a funeral dance, performed at wakes in Trinidad and Tobago during the 19th century; it's said to have originated on slave ships travelling between Africa and the Americas.

Fox links his musings on limbo together with stories about his older brother Karl, who left home to sail the world in 1985 and has rarely revisited the UK since. These were less enjoyable for me. I feel a bit bad about saying so, as they're obviously personal to the author. But I didn't feel they were as clearly connected to the idea of limbo as Fox seemed to think, or especially interesting in their own right. More compelling is the story of Fox embarking on his own journey across the seas – as a passenger on a cargo ship.

Overall it's interesting but not terribly illuminating, and didn't quite manage to convince me that it needed to be a book rather than a feature-length essay in a magazine or online.

TinyLetter | Twitter | Instagram | Tumblr

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Limbo.

August 20, 2018 – Shelved