Katie's Reviews > Love Story

Love Story by Jennifer Echols

Dec 22, 2011

Love Story is the first book I've read from Jennifer Echols and I'm now completely understanding why she's constantly praised. Her writing is raw and realistic, as is the risque things she makes her characters do and say.

First of all, I want to acknowledge how happy I am that she raised the age of these characters and set the story at a college campus. It's something that seems extraordinarily rare in YA, but something that we need to see more of. And it worked wonderfully for this specific cast. It gave them a sense of maturity, but they had their cute adolescent moments that in any other book would've seemed incredibly cheesy.

I also loved the aspiring writer aspect of this book. It probably isn't hard for an author to get it right, but Jennifer Echols really did hit the nail on the head with how most of us are protective and defensive about our work. Erin and Hunter's stories were really what made this book spectacular for me. To convey character's feelings and history in fictional sub-stories without making me want to throw the book at the wall is just so admirable. And even though these sub-stories were maybe only two or three pages long, I found myself wishing they were actual full-length books!

Overall, my first Jennifer Echols book was a success and I'm now hopping onto her bandwagon of adoring fans. Love Story is emotional, sexy, daring, smart and one of the best contemporary novels of the year! Most of you have probably already figured out how wonderful Love Story is, but if you haven't, I definitely recommend you get your hands on a copy!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love Story.