Sarah's Reviews > Emma and the Reasons

Emma and the Reasons by Natasha Metzler

bookshelves: 2020-reads, contemporary, romance, singleness, on-my-kindle, homeschool-author

Age Appropriate For: 15 and up for romance and some discussion of severe child abuse
Best for Ages: 18 and up

Excuse me while I gush about this book.

Wow! Wow! Wow! When I said I wanted some books about singles, this is what I was talking about! This is not about pathetic, sniffling single girls. Nor is this about man-hating, women-can-do-it-better-alone girls. This story is about three girls pursuing godly singleness. Not all of them are married/in-relationships in the end.

I read the prequel, so I had been given a taste of what to expect in this book. However, this was so, so much better. Did I agree with every choice the characters made? Nope. I raised my eyebrows a couple of times and wanted to explain a couple of things to Emma and the others. However, part of the charm was that they were imperfect and made mistakes, yet wanted to live their lives for Jesus.

The faith element stands out in this book in the best way. Emma and her friends each are perusing to live their lives for Jesus. I love how important was in their lives it was, and how authentic that felt thought the whole book. It wasn’t thrown in for show, it was an important part of each character. They each displayed it in different ways, but each loved Jesus.

There was romance in this story, but it was unpredictable in the best kind of way. While I didn’t always agree with how Emma or the other girls chose to do things, it was clear they always wanted to honor God. I had no idea who would get with who until towards the end. I was pleasantly surprised by several twists and turns and wanted to give a standing ovation a couple of times. Can you tell I like the book?

If it isn’t obvious, I highly recommend this book for single girls, those looking for faith-filled fiction, and unpredictable yet satisfying endings.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Emma and the Reasons.

August 20, 2018 – Shelved