Karina Read's Reviews > Kill the Queen

Kill the Queen by Jennifer Estep

liked it

2.5

I dislike writing bad reviews as it implies that I feel I could do better. Let’s be clear, I couldn’t. I have only comparisons to other stories and authors that have written better worlds, plots and characters to judge against.

I am normally a fan of first person narration but I couldn’t get on board with Evie’s narrative. She came across as immature and cowardly, it was definitely a shock when she announced that she was 27. It reflects the way all the characters in this novel are depicted, their dialogues are all the same and if it wasn’t for the use of the characters’ names, you would be hard pushed to label who was speaking/acting. They are all vey, very two dimensional and have few motives for anything. Their relationships with each other are also very flat. Evie later claims she wants to protect her friends but the three odd conversations we read with her talking to the individual characters did not come over as friendship. At all. And she was the weakest of the group - who was she protecting by staying with them but herself??? There was maybe the start of something with Paloma but we don’t get any character development or moving scenes where they bonded. The gruelling training sessions are glossed over in intervals of several weeks which I can understand- however, they would have been good opportunities to create camaraderie and loyalty. It all felt very skin deep.

Despite the heavy, heavy descriptions of the places visited and clothes worn, none of it felt well developed or real. It reminded me of many other standard fantasy worlds but without the depth some authors have crafted. Evie harboured a lot of resentment toward her cousin yet when we finally read the events that had her all angry and resentful, it was a huge disappointment. I don’t think it would have been enough to piss her off for all those years, although granted the massacre at the beginning would (should!) have been enough. But does she try and right the wrong? Well, that’s for you to discover but I found her lacking. It also annoyed me that she was in a grump right at the beginning at being asked to make pies... she’s 27 and used to her duty in life, grow up woman!

It was easy reading enough for me to finish, but I doubt I’ll continue the series. I didn’t bond with the characters well enough to care, nor do I think they care about each other. Mediocre dialogue with overdone, cliched plot. Sorry, but not for me. I hope you enjoy it more.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kill the Queen.

August 20, 2018 – Shelved
August 20, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
October 15, 2018 – Started Reading
October 15, 2018 –
48.0% "hmm, i normally like first person narration but Evie sounds like she’s 15 not 27... so far it’s very overloaded with description & the dialogue is clumsy. I’m intrigued enough to finish as the premise is good, i just hope the execution gets better"
October 15, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

ToHeroWithLove I agree with everything you said and would just like to add a few grievances.

Just imagine a character who watched the slaughter of a bunch of people just hours ago (including a pregnant woman and one of her few friends in the world) and being nearly murdered herself (by lightning strike and being thrown of a cliff) and a mere hours later sitting in the bleachers of an arena and then „despite everything that had happened oohs and aahs along with everyone else“

And to add insult to injury: The next day the MC is not a wreck as well, but banters lightly with the man who found her sleeping in his house, coming up with a cute nickname for him and to sum it up just behaves like no one after such events ever would.

Karina Read Christin wrote: "I agree with everything you said and would just like to add a few grievances.

Completely agree with everything! It’s so weird! And i don’t buy the ‘romance’ at all... and yet he acts all betrayed when he learns who she is. But maybe that’s because the characters are so flat.