Cari's Reviews > Small Animals: Parenthood in the Age of Fear

Small Animals by Kim Brooks

2066129

I think this book should be required reading for this day and age (along with Julie Lythcott-Haims' How to Raise an Adult). Kim Brooks went through a hell no parent should have to experience. One person was so judgmental about her parenting choice - to leave her 4-year-old child alone in a car for about five minutes - that the person went so far as to call the police and report the situation. Brooks shares her story in this book, along with the aftermath. She wrote an article about her experience, where she was lambasted for her choice and called horrible names. Brooks is an eloquent and competent writer, as well as a strong journalist. She includes data and interviews from all sorts of sources, and she probes the circumstances that have led to this problem in our society - namely, that people have become so scared about the independence of children that they feel it's necessary to interfere in situations like these. It's a complicated situation, and there are no overarching answers, but we all need to be aware of this climate and its implications for our future.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Small Animals.

Started Reading