Bwandungi Mugarura's Reviews > Every Heart a Doorway

Every Heart a Doorway by Seanan McGuire

it was ok
bookshelves: fantasy, scifi-by-women

I borrowed the audiobook from my public library and listened to it while I was on the treadmill. I'm sure I'll get the spelling of some of the names wrong.

Enjoyed:
1. Characters that were so diverse in temperament and identity.
2. The premise that sometimes children who disappear sometimes visit fairylands.
3. The idea that when you find the place where you belong, your dreams might come true.

Didn't like:
1. That I could figure out what the antagonist was trying to do before it was said.
2. That very hurried end.
3. That I only cared about the first death and shrugged my shoulders at the others. Yes, even Lundy.

***** Spoilers ahead *******

***** Let the spoilers begin! *****

Meh:
1. Nancy, her desire to return was mentioned over and over again and yet she never went looking for her door?
2. Jill. The buildup to her murderous rampage was insufficient to make me feel sorry for her. And foreshadowing with the pointing skeleton was very obvious.

The story idea was very unusual, but it was handled with no finesse because, meh. I didn't rejoice when Nancy found her door, I didn't care that people died (except Sunny), I didn't feel sorry for the Jacq and Jill. The anger of the beautiful mean girls seemed out of place and forced. Elinor's Benjamin Button routine reversed itself because of stress?

For a moment I thought I was mistaken about Jill and it had been Elinor all along!! That would have wrecked me. If she was finding and blocking their doors and then started picking them off because she was really a deranged escapee from one of the dark horror Worlds.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Every Heart a Doorway.

August 20, 2018 – Started Reading