Leah Quin's Reviews > Burned

Burned by Ellen Hopkins

Dec 22, 2011

it was ok

I couldn't actually finish this book. As much as I adore the free-verse style, the book didn't really settle with me the way Crank and Impulse have in the past. It's not that the book is badly written, I just found that I couldn't really relate to Pattyn, and it's not juts because I'm not Mormon personally or I don't see males the way she does, it's the way she dealt with a lot of her issues, such as her abusive father. Firstly, I don't exactly think that abuse in a Mormon household is that accurate to reality, but assuming that Hopkins was going for more shock value, I rolled with that for a while. I actually found the father interesting for a little while, but after her Aunt J had told the story of why they do not speak to each other, I fell that his storyline fell flat. Another thing that annoyed me with this story was how she had jumped from so many guys, from Justin to Derek to Ethan. It would have been much more interesting if Derek had continued the relationship with Pattyn in a secret manner, which I would have expected from Ellen.
Overall, I thought that the writing of the story was very up to par with Hopkins' previous works, but the storyline just wasn't for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Burned.