Stacey Keba's Reviews > The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck: A Counterintuitive Approach to Living a Good Life

The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck by Mark Manson

bookshelves: stacey-s-must-list

Ok. So. 12/10. That's what I would give this book if I could, even though logistically that doesn't work.

I think it's a rarity for me to give books beyond perfect reviews, but here's why I loved this one.

Manson got me into shape. Like metaphorically, he gave me abs. He's the asshole trainer we all hate to love because he pushes you, and he'll make you work for it. There are no "standing in front of the mirror and telling yourself you're in great shape" sessions with Manson, which I feel like a decent chunk of self-help coaches get off on. Sure, sometimes a relaxing yoga session or light cardio is great. I'm all for it.

But damn, Marky Mark.

He basically came up to me and said, "You're not going to get results by doing just that." AKA the Yoga. AKA the affirmations/positivity/visualizations. Then, without even asking, started correcting me and telling me what to do.

And let me tell you guys, he was more annoying than my ex when he tried to get me into lifting. (I get very pissy when told what do or that I'm doing it wrong).

And like fuck. I wanted to shout at Mark, "This isn't what I signed up for!!!" even though I very clearly bought the book and started reading. So, I guess I *kinda* did.

But, awful gym metaphor aside...

As someone who has drunk the #selfhelpkoolaid, I love how this book (through lots of wit and lots of cursing) was able to take me on a journey to a place that seemed too terrifying to go on my own. Manson slammed in some hard to choke down truths of failure, death, people sucking, and whether or not my existence matters in the way I think.

I read this book over the course of about a month for a couple reasons:
1.) I was slow on the uptake of Manson's counterintuitive approach and couldn't tell if I could get behind it, and
2.) Life was stressful as fuck, so the only solid time I could find time to read was on my lunch breaks at work.

OVERALL, I am so glad I read this at a slow pace.

It truly helped with Manson's lessons sinking in, and after about a week of letting myself receive, I was able to start seeing all of his lessons swarming around me in everyday life, pointing out things that I had been neglecting to address for weeks in fear of inconveniencing other people/ pissing them off.

Like...putting in my resignation notice to start my own business. (Thank you, Mark.)

So, if you're looking for a book to whip your ass into shape and give you some tough love, start reading this today.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck.

July 1, 2018 – Started Reading