Bee ☆'s Reviews > The Diviners

The Diviners by Libba Bray

The Diviners is a haunting story set in 1920’s Manhattan, New York at the height of the Roaring 20’s. Young Evie O’Neill is sent away by her parents to live with her Uncle Will who is the owner of The Museum of American Folklore, Superstition, and The Occult. While in New York a series of grisly murders begin occurring and Evie realizes that her powers to divine the past from objects can help catch the killer. Along with a ragtag band of friends they venture into the darkest history of their city and into the mind of The Beast.

I don’t even know where to begin with this review because there was so much that happened in this story!!! It’s told from multiple POVs and each POV is just as well written as the one before it. You’re really able to sink into the atmosphere of the story and the lingo and the vibe of the 20’s. You can definitely tell that Libba Bray did her research to make the story as authentic as possible. Evie O’ Neill never leaves the story with a dull moment with her charisma and beauty. The reoccurring themes of religion and the occult intertwine to make a story that will have you questioning the powers that be.

This was so well done that I had goosebumps at all the right parts, smiles to share with the characters and my heart beating just as fast as the scenes go by in the book. It’s a wonderful ghost story that keeps you hooked. It’s not a story for the faint of heart though because this 500 page tome carries philosophical questions, history, and the cult life to the surface to make everything that goes bump in the night visible. I can’t wait to read Lair of Dreams and there’s honestly not too much I can say without ruining parts of the plot but I want to give a special shoutout to Memphis Campbell the male lead of color for his storyline. I loved having a strong black lead that was loved and adored and powerful that had a plot line that was actually integral to the story. Once again Libba Bray has blown my mind with her ability to write a historical fiction that I couldn’t put down. GIMME THE SECOND BOOK NOW.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Diviners.

August 19, 2018 – Shelved