Alice's Reviews > The Stupidest Angel

The Stupidest Angel by Christopher Moore

Dec 21, 2011

bookshelves: 2011, humor, horror, romance, thriller, urban-fantasy, fantasy, audio, library, favorites
Read 3 times. Last read December 22, 2011.

This is a review for the audio edition of this book. I read the hardcover version a few years ago, and really liked it, and so I took this out of the library to listen to on my car trip to see family for Christmas.

The Stupidest Angel is the story of an angel who comes down to deliver a Christmas miracle. True to the title, though, he's not very bright. He interprets a child's wish for someone to come back to life by raising zombies who, after they're done munching on brains, want to go to Ikea. The residents of Pine Cove are confronted with this problem during the annual Christmas party.

This book is no less hilarious the second time around. If anything, I found it even funnier this time. I've read more of Christopher Moore's books, now, and so I understand the in-jokes his characters allude to.

That's not to say that his previous books are a prerequisite to this one, but you do enjoy it on a different level if you've read Lust Lizard of Melancholy Cove and Island of the Sequined Love Nun, as characters from both feature primarily in this narrative, and don't overtly talk about the weirdness they've been through before. This takes place some years after both stories are set. Raziel from Lamb is also the title angel, but his part in that narrative is pretty well summed up within the text.

I feel compelled to warn you that I have a rather dark sense of humor, and you might not find this book as funny as I do. People die, have their brains sucked out by zombies, and lose their minds. I didn't find the violence too gruesome, but some readers may not appreciate jokes about evil developers deserving to be dispatched with gardening equipment.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Stupidest Angel.

Quotes Alice Liked

“People, generally, suck.”

Christopher Moore
“Christmas crept into Pine Cove like a creeping Christmas thing: dragging garland, ribbon, and sleigh bells, oozing eggnog, reeking of pine, and threatening festive doom like a cold sore under the mistletoe.”

Christopher Moore
“Theophilus Crowe's mobile phone played eight bars of "Tangled Up in Blue" in an irritating electronic voice that sounded like a choir of suffering houseflies, or Jiminy Cricket huffing helium, or, well, you know, Bob Dylan.”

Christopher Moore
“He has the attention span of a hummingbird.”
tags: humor

Christopher Moore
“You were supposed to empathize with your friend's problem, but they were, after all, your friend's problems...”

Christopher Moore
“In another Christmas story, Dale Pearson, evil developer, self-absorbed woman hater, and seemingly unredeemable curmudgeon, might be visited in the night by a series of ghosts who, by showing him bleak visions of Christmas future, past, and present, would bring about in him a change to generosity, kindness, and a general warmth toward his fellow man. But this is not that kind of Christmas story, so here, in not too many pages, someone is going to dispatch the miserable son of a bitch with a shovel. That's the spirit of Christmas yet to come in these parts. Ho, ho, ho.”

Christopher Moore
“If you think anyone is sane you just don’t know enough about them. The key — and this is very relevant in our case — is to find someone whose insanity dovetails with your own.”
tags: humor

June 17, 2008 – Shelved (Hardcover Edition)
December 21, 2011 – Shelved
December 21, 2011 –
70.0% "Listening to this on audio while we drive to visit family this holiday. Just as funny, perhaps more with someone to share it with."
Started Reading
December 22, 2011 – Finished Reading
December 19, 2012 – Started Reading (Hardcover Edition)
December 19, 2012 –
page 1
0.33% "Decided to reread this for Christmas." (Hardcover Edition)
December 20, 2012 –
page 45
14.71% (Hardcover Edition)
December 24, 2012 – Finished Reading (Hardcover Edition)
Started Reading (Audiobook Edition)
December 23, 2014 – Finished Reading (Audiobook Edition)
December 24, 2014 – Shelved (Audiobook Edition)