Stephanie's Reviews > Time's Convert

Time's Convert by Deborah Harkness

bookshelves: sci-fi-fantasy, favorites

My favorite part of Time's Convert was Marcus's story, especially the beginning, when he was a warmblood. The developing during those chapters was really well though out. However, the further the story went into is vampire life the more rushed and summed up it felt, especially when he was in New York and New Orleans. I also wish Matthew had more involvement with Marcus' life when he was a young vampire. Still, I liked the insight we got of Marcus and his life,liberty and pursuit of happiness.

As Deborah said at the event, the Bishop-de Clermont family have been through the wringer and need a break. Although their parts were slower and not suspenseful, I liked that they got to have a normal - or as normal as they can be - summer. There was some drama and loads of cuteness with cameos from beloved family members.

Phoebe's story was my least favorite part but that might have more to do with the fact that I was never that into her. She was just there in the trilogy, for me. I did like the insight into the infancy of becoming a vampire, the rules and the adjustments.

I think all together that each story was well balanced and the pacing was just right. Although it wasn't the story I was expecting to be published next, and I can't say it is my favorite book set in this world, it was an enjoyable read.

Favorite quotes:
This made me laugh, though I think it may be a dig at Harry Potter?
Nook- page 88: "But Matthew and I agreed long ago that we weren't going to hide who we were from the children. I don't want them learning what magic is from television and movies."
"Goddess forbid." Sarah shuddered. "All those wands."

Nook- page 89: "Rules may teach you to be blindly obedient, but they're no real protection against the world.

Nook- page 107: "It took me eighteen hours to bring that boy into the world, and no time at all for some idiot with a gun to steal him away." Mistress Bishop pulled a small bottle out of her pocket. "War is such a waste of women's time."

Nook - page 317: "If a vampire were to abstain from traveling to places occupied by his former enemies, there would be nowhere on earth left to go."

Nook - page 418: "I'm just a vampire, not Van Gogh."

3.5 out of 5 Griffins

*The B&N special edition I bought has a deleted scene from Marcus' POV during Shadow of Night. The scene didn't fit with the theme of this book and was taking it off course. It was a nice surprise to get that little extra moment, especially since SoN is my favorite of the trilogy.*
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Time's Convert.

April 2, 2018 – Shelved (Kindle Edition)
April 2, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read (Kindle Edition)
August 19, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read