MV Mariani's Reviews > Existence

Existence by Abbi Glines

Dec 21, 2011

The eyes of Death on the cover drown me right over. At some point, I became delusional enough as to think he was actually looking at me. So with that happening, it was pretty understandable that the moment I encountered myself free, I took the book - almost possessively- and submerged myself within the first words.

After what I though had been three hours, I tore myself off the pages, for the sole annoying reason that I had to sleep (at least a few hours) to be able to endure the rest of the day. I looked at the clock and imagine my lovely surprise when I found out that those three hours had actually been seven.

Then again, when I stop to think about it now, I shouldn't have been surprised at all.
This is the first time in my life that I find myself liking every single character in the book. Even the one that was supposed to be annoying: I found less irritating that other book's protagonists.

I loved every single thing about Pagan. Now, me liking so much a lead (of a first person's point of view book) is -sadly- very rare. I enjoyed reading her thoughts and I laughed at her sudden occurrences, but that's not really even the start of why the time flew while I was in Glines's world.
Not only Pagan, but her interactions with every other character made me laugh, swoon and, sometimes, even squeal of excitement (yeah, just like a schoolgirl).
I even liked the English literature professor!. That, I think, makes it very clear: this is a book you MUSTN'T miss.

So I bow and clap enthusiastically at Abby Glines, because not only I couldn't help myself but to avoid the mere thought of leaving this amazing characters, but when I was reading the very last sentence, she accomplished something not many writers can pull off. She left me in a frozen I-CAN'T-BELIEVE-THAT-JUST-HAPPENED state.

Saying I'm expecting the sequel would be an understatement. I'm in need of the sequel.
I can't wait to see all of them again: Miranda, Wyat, Gee, Lief, Dank and Pagan (even her mom, for heaven's sake!)
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Existence.