Aaron Scruggs's Reviews > Zero to One: Notes on Startups, or How to Build the Future

Zero to One by Peter Thiel

"What very important truth do few people agree with you on?" Thiel repeats this question multiple times in the book. It is the central idea behind the book. How can you create something entirely new instead of iterating on what already exists? It is a fascinating question that I imagine I will chew on for a long time to come.

He turns his nose at the idea of luck and of the very successful having been lucky. Then he goes on to speak of the 80/20 rule and distributions tend to be logarithmic (the same concept present in Peterson's social hierarchy). These two concepts seem to be in conflict. How can distributions be logarithmic and people at the extremes not be lucky?

All-in-all it was a "good read", but he is trying to inspire people to play the visionary lottery and that is a game that most people are unlucky at. We need people to pursue this path, but personally, I'll pass unless I ever discover that very important truth that few people agree with me on.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Zero to One.

Finished Reading