Shara's Reviews > Mockingbird

Mockingbird by Sean Stewart

Dec 21, 2011

The premise: ganked from the publisher: Sometimes you have to go back home.

Elena Beauchamp used magic the way other people used credit cards, and now that she’s dead, her daughters Toni and Candy have a debt to pay. Set in modern-day Houston, Texas, this is a funny and moving novel of voodoo, pregnancy, and family ties. While Toni sorts out the mess that Elena left behind, she must also come to terms with her childhood and with the supernatural and dangerous gift that she has inherited from her mother.

Mockingbird: A novel of voodoo, pregnancy, and Houston.

My Rating: Couldn't Put It Down

I loved this so much that I promptly ordered two more Sean Stewart books off of Paperback Swap before remembering that I have a monthly cap on the number of books I can get in a month! Oooops… old habits, they die hard. Oh well, it'll be well worth it, though I suspect I will space the reading of those books out so as to not glut myself entirely on his fiction. Be that as it may, this book had me from the first page, and it's what I crave from so much small-town and/or Appalachian fiction that I simply don't get. Not that Mockingbird is in any way small town or Appalachian fiction: it's set in Houston, Texas, for goodness' sakes! But what this book does: fuse character, setting, and place in such a way to create a unique atmosphere is what I want and crave from those aforementioned styles of fiction, but that I never quite seem to get. Toni was a character I immediately related to, and her rather magical-realist journey is one I can see myself reading again and again. This was very, very close to getting the top rating of "My Precious," and only a few things held me back from awarding it said top rating. But no matter. It's rare that a book other than a YA or other serial book gets the "couldn't put it down" rating, but when it does, you know just how damn happy I am with it.

Spoilers, yay or nay?: Vague-ish spoilers, because this is the kind of book you really don't spoil, you know? The full review is in my blog, which I've linked to below, and as always, comments and discussion are most welcome!

REVIEW: Sean Stewart's MOCKINGBIRD

Happy Reading!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mockingbird.

December 21, 2011 – Shelved
March 31, 2012 –
page 206
March 31, 2012 –
March 31, 2012 – Finished Reading

Nancy i'm curious what you thought of it! it's one of my very favourites but it doesn't seem to be a book most people know of.