Sebastian Gebski's Reviews > A Guide to the Good Life: The Ancient Art of Stoic Joy

A Guide to the Good Life by William B. Irvine

Stellar, mainly because it's real philosophy, not modern hyped charlatanry.
Irvine is an academic expert of the topic & he dives deeply to the ancient sources without over-simplification for an average American serial TV-series watcher (no offense...).

The book is practical, there're plenty of nice parallels - starting with rival ancient schools and ending with Buddhism, the author spent a lot of energy dispelling some myths around stoicism (& not only). I like the fact that he has presented not only stoicism, but also enough of the background of an epoch. In the end, the book is very well written, hence enjoyable to get through - it was a very smooth journey.

My final impression is probably biased by the fact that I've found many parallels between my own way of thinking (that I've somehow evolved over the years) and this particular doctrine (yet, there are some things that I don't like & at least partially reject), but still - I honestly recommend this book to everyone interested in high self-awareness & mindful way of living.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Guide to the Good Life.

August 18, 2018 – Started Reading