Rebecca's Reviews > Somewhere Inside: One Sister's Captivity in North Korea and the Other's Fight to Bring Her Home

Somewhere Inside by Laura Ling

Dec 21, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: tv

A sort of celeb memoir but with a purpose. Lisa Ling's sister was doing some journalism project in South Korea and sort of accidentally on purpose stepped onto North Korea soil for like a second. I don't really understand why they even went there for a moment. It seemed like an accident on the part of their contact, but was it really an accident? They never expanded on that and while he got away, the girls got screwed. Was he a spy and was this the point all along? That is what it seemed like to me, but since it was never expanded on, who knows. Anyway, the book was written in back and forth style from the sisters, one who was in jail in Korea and the other back in LA. I remember when this story went down, it happened right after I got home from Australia. I remember thinking this will work it self out, considering one of the girls was related to a journalist celebrity. And in reading this book, that is sort of exactly what happened. I don't think anyone else would have gotten out that quick otherwise. Yes, it still sucked and who even knew what would happen, but the odds were for them considering their situation then if it was someone else. I liked the balancing act of it all, because that could happen with anyone in dealing with N. Korea. The whole thing is so weird to me anyway, it's just like a concept I can't comprehend at all. But I always enjoy books about sisters and could relate on that level a lot.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Somewhere Inside.