Darcia Helle's Reviews > Defending Jacob

Dec 21, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: review-copies, fiction, suspense-thriller-mystery
Read from December 29, 2011 to January 03, 2012

For me, this book had highs and lows. I’ll start with the good stuff. The plot tackles multiple issues, expertly woven together, and laid out for us to ponder. At the heart of the story is the controversial topic of the ‘murder gene’ and whether the propensity for violence is in our DNA. We question whether our family history changes how people perceive us. And, along with the characters, we wonder how far we would go to protect our child.

Now for the not so good stuff. I did not always find the parents, the father in particular, believable. He stumbles upon a few red flags with his son’s activities, yet he never once confronts his son about these things. His character is a bit too much of an ostrich, sticking his head in the sand and pretending all is well. The characters aren’t well-developed and I didn’t connect well with any of them.

The biggest disappointment for me is the pace of the story. It drags. We spend a lot of time in the narrator’s head and his thoughts become repetitive. The trial begins about 2/3 through the book and the pace slows to a crawl. We read long snippets of the trial transcript. Everything is rehashed for us in trial format, but none of the information is new. The experience left me feeling disconnected and bored, rather than involved or on the edge of my seat in suspense. By the time I arrived at the twist at the end, which should have been stunning, I breathed a sigh of relief that it was over.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Defending Jacob.