Jenna's Reviews > The Great Gasbag: An A–Z Study Guide to Surviving Trump World

The Great Gasbag by Joy Behar

bookshelves: humour, political

Crying Laughing GIF - Crying Laughing KristenBell GIFs

The only good thing about the trump presidency is the fodder it has provided for comedians. And wow, have they told some phenomenal jokes! However, as it comes at the expense of everyone in the world (including other white billionaire americans because even if they are otherwise winning with a trump presidency, they too will have to live with the consequences of climate change and trump's pulling out of the Paris Agreement, etc), I would happily forgo all the fabulous trump jokes if it meant getting out of this nightmare or never having entered into it in the first place.
Since, unfortunately, I can't see that happening, I'll let myself enjoy the jokes as much as possible, to try to combat all the stress and anxiety induced by old dorito-face sitting in the White House, tiny hands near the nuclear buttons.

Joy Behar provides some much needed laughter with "The Great Gasbag". Her signature sarcasm and acerbic wit gave me quite a few chuckles and even a couple all out belly laughs. The chapters are broken down into each letter of the alphabet and reads rather like a dictionary -- that is, an intellectually funny dictionary written by a smart left-wing comedienne. If you love satire, if you need a little light-humor to combat your trump-induced depression, read this book. It has less side effects than Prozac or Zoloft, though we're all probably on those by now anyway.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Great Gasbag.

August 17, 2018 – Started Reading
August 17, 2018 – Shelved
August 18, 2018 – Shelved as: humour
August 18, 2018 – Shelved as: political
August 18, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)

message 1: by Merry (new)

Merry Jenna, you write the best reviews ever! I haven’t decided for sure if I’m going to read this book, only because I absolutely cannot stand Trump. Like you I’m hoping that some day we’ll waken from this nightmare. I just hope and pray it’s before he totally ruins our country. But great review!!

Jenna Merry, thank you! You always make me feel so good with your compliments :) And yes, I just hope we survive and he doesn't totally ruin our country; it's very, very frightening!

message 3: by Terry (new) - added it

Terry Caldwell Thank you for this great review. I’ve been avoiding all of the trump books as it’s too much. But after reading your review, I would like to read this one. Or perhaps one by you!

JV (semi-hiatus) Lol! A hilarious and magnificent review, Jenna! Loved the title as well as your witty commentary! I have to take a double dose of Prozac anyway. 🤣

message 5: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Lol! Love your review Jenna 😘

Jenna Terry wrote: "Thank you for this great review. I’ve been avoiding all of the trump books as it’s too much. But after reading your review, I would like to read this one. Or perhaps one by you!"

Terry, I'm glad you were able to enjoy something with the word 'trump' in it --- that's not easy to do 🤣 I'll let you know if I write a book, but I don't think that would be possible. I would lose my mind if I thought about him for more than a minute at a time! The book would never make it to an editor, let alone a publisher!

Jenna JV wrote: "Lol! A hilarious and magnificent review, Jenna! Loved the title as well as your witty commentary! I have to take a double dose of Prozac anyway. 🤣"

Thank you, dear JV -- we're all going to be on a triple dose of anti-depressants soon! I just keep thinking.... we survived 2 years, surely we can make it through another 2.....

Jenna Maureen wrote: "Lol! Love your review Jenna 😘"

Thank you, Maureen! 😊

message 9: by Richard (new)

Richard An excellent and very timely review :)

Jenna Thank you, Richard. Hopefully we get good news with the election results today. Holding my breath and crossing my fingers and toes!