Sassy Brit's Reviews > The Coordinates of Loss

The Coordinates of Loss by Amanda Prowse

bookshelves: arc, paperback, 2018-book-tour, 2018-books, relationships

The Coordinates of Loss by Amanda Prowse is a poignant rumination on life, love, and the desolation of losing a much-loved child. Realistic. Heartbreaking. Totally emotional.

Visit all my reviews here. I love to chat books! You can also follow me on Twitter: @Sassy_Brit.

To some this may sound like a rather grim read, but there is much more to this story-line than just doom and gloom. Through Prowse's characterisation I always feel we're made privy to her characters innermost thoughts; discovering what makes flawed people like ourselves human.

Although the story is mainly about the parents coping with the loss of their young child during a boating trip, and their privileged life in the beautifully exotic setting of Bermuda, there's also another story threaded through the pages. This sub-story balances out the terrible times Rachel and James Croft are going through, whilst adding another layer to the mix. It's about their housekeeper, Cee-Cee, and how Rachel discovers her letters which reveal a past Cee-Cee would've liked to talk to her employers about, but couldn't. So she writes her thoughts down in the hope she might share them one day. Some of them she does.

Cee-Cee has lead a very different life to the Crofts privileged one, and during her employment with them, she grew to love little Oscar just as much as they. He brought much joy to all of their hearts, and it's through this connection the story unfolds, not only binding each other together, but as a way to analyse their own lives and take that step forward towards healing their shattered hearts. This theme made for some highly emotional, yet uplifting and cleverly written scenes.

Yes! I am so pleased this is another solid story by Amanda Prowse, which delves into the labyrinth of human psyche and all its imperfect glory! Despite the unrelenting bleakness of this topic, there's also a powerful message of how we CAN cope, against all odds, against adversity and against the most cruellest of times.

I'd like to think this is a story about how adaptable we are. With the right help, and love, we can choose to break or we can take on these tragic experiences and use them to grow. Not give up.

It's also a stark reminder of how much joy one little tiny human being can bring into a family and their friends' hearts, and how easily it can all be taken away - yet the ripples of life carry on. Regardless. And so must we.

Thank you to the publisher and Amanda Prowse for my ARC. This is my honest review and not biased in any way. Unless you call being a fan, biased.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Coordinates of Loss.

August 17, 2018 – Started Reading
August 17, 2018 – Shelved
August 17, 2018 – Shelved (Kindle Edition)
August 17, 2018 – Shelved as: tt-2018-books-that-... (Kindle Edition)
September 12, 2018 –
page 330
100.0% "Finished and loved it! Review coming soon..."
October 4, 2018 – Shelved as: arc
October 4, 2018 – Shelved as: paperback
October 4, 2018 – Shelved as: 2018-book-tour
October 4, 2018 – Shelved as: 2018-books
October 4, 2018 – Shelved as: relationships
October 4, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Nancy (new) - added it

Nancy Walker Just started reading it based on your review. Thanks!

message 2: by Sassy (new) - added it

Sassy Brit Nancy wrote: "Just started reading it based on your review. Thanks!"

Thank you, Nancy!! Looking forward to seeing what you think about it. Stay in touch! x