Olivia's Reviews > The Boss

The Boss by Abigail Owen

bookshelves: netgalley-reviews

Great start to a new paranormal romance series! "The Boss" is the first book in a new series that follows dragon shifters. We learn bits and pieces here and there about the dragon shifters, which are labeled by clan (color) and ruled by kings. They also have councils that oversee various aspects of their lives. Most dragon shifters are male and the few that are female are sterile. Dragons mate for life through a specific process with human women who are born with the ability to be a dragon mate. When their mate dies, so do they. Dragons, thus, do not mate lightly, and there is a process to go through when finding the mate. If they pick the wrong mate, she will die horribly. Considering that there may only be one mate per person, in picking the wrong mate, they may also prevent someone from receiving their destined mate.

Finn has sworn off women after what happened when he tried to mate- they had mistakenly thought she was his mate. Although he could sleep with human women if so desired, he has not really wanted to, as he just remembers what happened to the women he thought was his mate when he tries. Finn runs a colony of dragons from the different clans in the US where they contain knowledge about dragons, stop dragon fire, and punish the dragons who risk exposing dragon kind. It is after seeing one such fire that he meets Delaney.

Delaney has come to the West Coast to start anew. She is fleeing a stalker (against whom she has a restraining order) and now works at a winery with Sera, a single mother and her good friend. Delaney wakes in their storage/equipment barn amidst a fire. Since a car accident which killed her family, she has had a type of epilepsy (believed) where she blacks out. Delaney is worried that she is starting the fires when she blacks out. Anyway, she saves a stray cat from the barn and then begins to fight the fire, when she is pulled away and to safety by a firefighter who arrived on the scene- who happens to be Finn.

Delaney finds herself strangely pulled to Finn and confesses what has been going on. He offers her his group's protection, against what he learns is a dragon shifter who has been stalking her. As they live closer, they are unable to resist the undeniable pull between them. However, Delaney doesn't bear the mark of a dragon mate, so she cannot know too much about their world. However, as the story develops, there is more at play here than they could have imagined, and the lack of a mark may not be so significant...

Overall, I really loved the romance in this book and the push-pull between Delaney and Finn. Their relationship was very steamy and just what I was looking for! You'll definitely be wanting your own firefighter dragon shifter after reading this! The romantic scenes were so well done and paced perfectly throughout the book (not too much and not too little). The book is written very well and flows quickly- I devoured it in a day.

The dragon shifter element was really interesting, but I wish we had a bit more world development. We put together the pieces here and there slowly throughout the book. All-in-all, I felt like it was enough, but I do want to hear more about it in the future books. We are also left with a bit of a mystery at the end, and I really want to pick up the next book now!

This steamy and engaging paranormal romance was a big hit for me! I highly recommend it. Please note that I received an ARC from the publisher through netgalley. All opinions are my own.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Boss.

August 17, 2018 – Shelved