T. K. Elliott (Tiffany)'s Reviews > The Blessings of a Good Thick Skirt: Women Travellers and Their World

The Blessings of a Good Thick Skirt by Mary Russell

liked it
bookshelves: history, reviewed

This was a quick and entertaining read.

It’s a quick overview of female travellers from Ancient Rome to the present day; the blurb asks the question of what drew these women to embark on their travels, but we don’t get any in-depth answers. It reads more like a list of anecdotes, each woman picked up, given a few paragraphs, and then dropped to move on to the next. This works well as a light read, and to get a sense of the fact that women travellers have existed throughout history, and travelled for many reasons, but I never felt that I got to know any of the women, or even really found out any more about them that they existed and the bare bones of where they travelled to.

The advantage of including so many women is that it gives the reader a general overview of the subject; the disadvantage is that this comes at the expense of depth. We never really get to learn much about ‘their world’ as promised by the title, because with 1500 years of women travellers, they come from many different worlds, in time, in place, and even in social circumstances.

I would have preferred, I think, more depth about fewer women, as it would have allowed greater context for each woman.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Blessings of a Good Thick Skirt.

August 17, 2018 – Shelved