Claire's Reviews > Dressing the Dearloves

Dressing the Dearloves by Kelly Doust

bookshelves: australian-women-authors, historical-fiction

4.5***** This book was something different, following dress designer Sylvie in the present just after she has had to fold her business. She returns to the family estate which is on the verge of bankruptcy. To help sell the house Sylvie is tasked with clearing out the clothes from the attic, and so begins the uncovering of long held family secrets. The historical timeline starts in 1928 and alternates between Sylvie's great-grandmother Lizzie and her sister Victoria's story. Slowly the past is revealed to us and secrets are uncovered, we the readers know more than Sylvie until the end. There are plenty of twists from the past and as the story unraveled I grew to dislike Lizzie more and more. Born in a time and into a social class where what people think of you and how things look is more important it seems than being happy, Lizzie continues this way of thinking right through to the present day. Sylvie's grandma Gigi is a wonderful supporting character and as things unfolded I started to enjoy her even more. This book is full of interesting characters, both past and present and a very interesting story is told throughout the pages, there's also a bit of romance thrown in there too.

Thanks to NetGalley and HarperCollins Publishers Australia for a copy in return for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dressing the Dearloves.

August 16, 2018 – Started Reading