B.A. Wilson's Reviews > Sky Without Stars

Sky Without Stars by Jessica Brody

24206425

bookshelves: ya, sci-fi, 2019-alphabet-challenge

This is a YA space Sci-Fi that is a reimagined and futuristic take on Les Miserables. Let’s just appreciate that strange meshing of worlds for a moment.

Overall, I enjoyed this novel, including the multiple POVs and the fascinating world/universe. Occasionally, it felt a big sluggish, and I think in this instance, the story would be better if it was tighter and the pacing faster. Probably the 3 POVs ended up slowing the story down, though I found them quite interesting and necessary to showing the depth of the world.

This story is also a bit rambling at times, and I did zone out occasionally and have to force myself to refocus. It’s occasionally guilty of throwing too many unnecessary details at you at once, which becomes too much to absorb, but then it recovers pretty quickly. In addition, the plot lingers at times, when it should just press forward, so instead of an action-packed adventure, it sometimes feels like more of a character study.

Despite some of those issues, I enjoyed the character building and growth, though with a novel of this size, I do wish it had run even a bit deeper than it does. I’m happy this is a series, because I think this is a good step in the right direction, and I’m curious to see what comes next. I remain very hopeful that this is one of those series where the first book is busy laying the groundwork, but it’s the later books that make you love the world beyond compare.

OTHER FUN PERKS:
---the French influences
---the wildly different worldviews of the 3 POVs
---the social hierarchy

WOULD LOVE TO SEE IN THE FUTURE NOVELS:
---more diversity
---more twists and surprises
---more complex relationships between characters

This is a great pick for YA Sci-Fi and fantasy fans, as well as for those that like unique retellings/reimaginings, and/or multiple POVs.

Pages: 592

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sky Without Stars.

August 16, 2018 – Shelved
August 16, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
February 8, 2019 – Started Reading
March 26, 2019 –
17.0% "Happy release day to Sky Without Stars! This is great so far. I can't wait to see how it moves forward."
March 28, 2019 – Shelved as: ya
March 28, 2019 – Shelved as: sci-fi
March 28, 2019 – Finished Reading
April 1, 2019 – Shelved as: 2019-alphabet-challenge

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by John (new) - added it

John Wilson I will loved to be your best and closed friend so you can share me those interesting books you loved reading ,I'm John Gentle and honest and kindhearted man ,I will also like too known you too as well ,you can actually reach me through my email .....johnplatter14@gmail.com that's mine email address Wilson ,hope to hear from you soon