Ariana's Reviews > Angelfall

Angelfall by Susan Ee

Dear publishers,
Why do you publish so many bad books (I won't even bother to mention them, you know there are plenty), while wonderful stories like this one have to be self-published for us to be able to enjoy them?
All I have to say is that this book puts some of you at shame.
I wonder if this book would have been better if edited, or if it would have been turned into a boring commercial story as many others out there.

I usually don't pick up many angel-books to read, as I find then not quite original, mostly repetitive and usually plain boring with the good vs. bad battle where, how could it be any different, the good shinny angels usually get to easily win. (This is not the case)
Of course, if you search through my reviews you will also find a few interesting (or at least entertaining) angel-books too.

Now, back to Angelfall I'll start with this statement/quote:
“Angels are violent creatures.”
“So I noticed. I used to think they were all sweet and kind.”
“Why would you think that? Even in your Bible, we’re harbingers of doom, willing and able to destroy entire cities. Just because we sometimes warned one or two of you beforehand doesn’t make us altruistic.”

So maybe it is just that we (as in 'me and probably the author') think on some aspects somehow alike, maybe it is because I always thought that religion is the most manipulative weapon of them all and I finally stumbled upon a book that showed it right. Maybe it is because I was sick of all the fluffy reads with the good shinny angels and I needed something  different, or realistic, or creepy in a complete awesome way; or maybe it is just the fact that the story was so full of surprises that made me like it even more.

The fact is that I really loved every bit of it, and I have to give a big thanks to all my GoodReads book friends, because without them I probably wouldn't have found about it. So thanks you all, you are the best!

There were so many things I liked about this story and the characters, that made it hard for me to point to it and say: "hey, this is the reason I liked it this much!"

The dynamic between the main characters was so damn good (in my opinion). There is no love at first sight, there are lots of action moments, so many verbal fights, and so much mystery to add up to beauty of it all.
I liked how Penryn was constantly helping Raffe saving his skin, or wings, or his life for a matter of fact, and I liked how he was at first grateful, and by the ending he started to care for her (keep in mind that i didn't use the word 'love'). In a world as cruel as that one, it felt right not to have a big romance in the middle of it all. Their relationship was more than that - it was about gaining each-other's trust, and helping out each other, and fighting together but for very different reasons. It was more about survival and less about emotions, but what can I say, in this way their story got strait to my heart.

Reading this book felt more like tasting a drink. It made my head spin, and left me wanting for more.

It didn't give all away; and there are so many questions about Penryn's mother (who didn't seem so crazy in my opinion, and I am sure she will have a lot to do with what comes next), about Penryn's ability to use an angle sword, about her sister and Raffe that seem to share a bit of the same destiny, about the war between the angels and the humans - it's only the beginning, and I have so many scenarios in my head, I can't wait to see which one is THE ONE.

All in one, a great book and an amazing way to start the reading year.
I only have one thing to tell you: pick it up and read it. I bet you will like it a lot!

And, BTW, I hate how every book in the world is compared to The Hunger Games.. get a grip people, there are nothing alike - and as a proof, there's no guy waiting for Penryn at home, LOL :p

This review can also be found at ReadingAfterMidnight.com
____________________________________________

Blog (EN) | Facebook | Twitter | Tumblr | Bloglovin' | Blog (RO)
____________________________________________

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Angelfall.

Quotes Ariana Liked

Susan Ee
“You," he says, with a dirty look, “don’t deserve salvation.”
"As if you could give it to me,” I croak. “Why would I want to go to Heaven anyway when it’s crammed full of murderers and kidnappers like you and your buddies?”
“Who says I belong in Heaven?”

Susan Ee
“She? You’re not one of those people who name their cars and coffee mugs, are you? It’s an inanimate object. Get over it.”

Susan Ee
“Here, I’ll show you how to use it. Let me see your foot.”
“That’s a pretty intimate demand in the angel world. It usually takes dinner, some wine, and sparkling conversation for me to give up my feet.”

Susan Ee
“I am not afraid of you, your kind, or your god.”

Susan Ee
“If I was good at marketing, I’d spin you an empty story that sounds profound. But the truth is that we’re all just stumbling around in the dark. Sometimes we hit something terrible.”

Susan Ee
“I wonder which will get you killed faster—your loyalty or your stubbornness?”

Susan Ee
“Angels are violent creatures.”
“So I noticed. I used to think they were all sweet and kind.”

Susan Ee
“I never kid about my warrior demigod status."
"Oh. My. God." I lower my voice, having forgotten to whisper. "You are nothing but a bird with an attitude. Okay, so you have a few muscles, I’ll grant you that. But you know, a bird is nothing but a barely evolved lizard. That’s what you are.”

Susan Ee
“My friends call me Wrath,” says Raffe. “My enemies call me Please Have Mercy. What’s your name, soldier boy?”

Susan Ee
“What if they don’t let us go through?” I ask, trying not to move my lips.
“They will,” he answers from the dark recesses of the backseat footwell.
“How do you know?”
“Because you have the look they’re looking for.”
“What look is that?”
“Beautiful.” His voice is like a caress from the shadows.”

Susan Ee
“It is not the gentle kiss of a couple on a first date, nor is it the kiss of a man driven by simple lust. He kisses me with the desperation of a dying man who believes the magic of eternal life is in this kiss.”

Susan Ee
“I've never killed anyone before. What frightens me isn't that I'm killing someone. What frightens me is how easy it is.”

Susan Ee
“He runs his finger tips along my cheek, caressing my face. “Hush. I’m right here.” He looks at me with deep anguish in his eyes. Like there’s so much he wants to tell me but feels it’s too late now. I want to stroke his face and tell him that it will be okay. That everything will be all right. And I wish so badly that it would be.”

Susan Ee
“I knew from the start that your loyalty would get you killed. I just never thought it would be your loyalty to me that would do it.”

Susan Ee
“So long as you don't bleed in the shape of wing joints, you should pass for human. Oh, and don't let anyone pick you up. They'll know you're not right as soon as they feel how light you are."

"I'll be sure not to let anyone but you carry me in her arms.”

Susan Ee
“Asleep, he looks like a bleeding Prince Charming chained in the dungeon. When I was little, I always thought I’d be Cinderella, but I guess this makes me the wicked witch.
But then again, Cinderella didn’t live in a post-apocalyptic world invaded by avenging angels.”

Susan Ee
“A sense of humor is one more thing I don't think angels should have. The fact that his sense of humor is corny makes it even more wrong.”

Susan Ee
“Anybody that ties you to a chair at gunpoint is a bad guy. Do I really need to explain this?”

Susan Ee
“When you're small enough to have to look up at everyone around you, there's no such thing as a dirty fight. That's a new motto for me. I think I'll keep it.”

Susan Ee
“You're like a little girl demanding answers to questions during a covert operation. Why is the sky blue, daddy? Can I ask that man with the machine gun where the bathroom is? If you don't stay quiet, I'm going to have to dump you.”

Susan Ee
“I never thought about it before, but I'm proud to be human. We're ever so flawed. We're frail, confused, violent, and we struggle with so many issues. But all in all, I'm proud to be a Daughter of Man.”

Susan Ee
“Why were the other angels attacking you?"

"It's impolite to ask the victim of violence what they did to be attacked.”

Susan Ee
“Either he's shaken by something or he's falling off the wagon hard and fast. Great. Just my luck to be partnered with an alcoholic angel.”

Susan Ee
“Your sense of judgement could use a dash of common sense.”

Susan Ee
“Oh, please. Your giant head is getting too big for this forest. Pretty soon, you're going to get stuck trying to walk between two tress. And then, I'll have to rescue you." I give him a weary look. "Again.”

Susan Ee
“In the long second before everyone absorbs what just happened, I see the angel rolling his eyes heavenward, like a teenager in the presence of overwhelming lameness. Some people just have no sense of gratitude.”

December 20, 2011 – Shelved
November 3, 2014 – Shelved as: movie-to-be
December 2, 2014 – Shelved as: male-approved
March 20, 2015 – Shelved as: by-color-dark

Steph Sinclair Yay! You loved it! :D

Ariana Yep, it was a good start for 2012 :) can't wait for the next book in the series :D

Wendy Darling Already left a comment on your blog, but....YAY. :)

message 4: by Mary (new)

Mary Well done, Ari. Your reviews are always clear and sharp.
I've read a lot reviews about this book, but you convinced me to read it ASAP.

Ariana Thanks ;)
I really hope that you will like it Mary. It's a great book and I am really happy to start the reading year with a book like this one :)

Lexxie (un)Conventional Bookviews This book truly was one of the great surprises of 2012 for me. And I too, would never have even heard about it if not for my Goodreads friends! Writing emotional reviews can actually work :)

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Ari, you find the best pictures for your reviews!

Ariana Kate wrote: "Ari, you find the best pictures for your reviews!"

Thanks.. I am not good at puting feelings into words, so I try to express them through images. It is my way of connecting with the story :)

Charlene OMG. I started to read this before going to work. IT WAS A HUGE MISTAKE! Now I'm late!

Ariana Hahaaa.. I am really glad that you like it.. It's such a great book. Happy reading ;)

message 11: by Bridget (new)

Bridget Now, you know..Books will always be compared to 1. HUNGER GAMES 2. TWILIGHT 3. HARRY POTTER...even though the books are NOTHING alike..lol..I used to wonder why people would compare Twilight {Vampires/Werewolves} to Harry Potter {Witches/Wizards etc}...Only similarity I saw were..They're popular! O_o...I mean, if you liked one over the other b/c you like Magic over Fangs..then ok...but what else is there to compare? Maybe its just me..lol.

Ariana Yes, comparisons are and will always be made (even it happened to me to compare another book with THG - at least I had a list of things that were alike, but it still seemed so wrong for me to do that *sigh*).

But some boos have just nothing in common and I don't know why people say they could be similar (your example with Twilight and HP is one of those cases).

As for this book, I didn't find another book similar to Angelfall (not even in my pile of angel books), and except for the fact that the main character is a girl, I don't know why people think that it might have something in common with THG.

message 13: by Danielle. (new) - added it

Danielle. I really enjoyed this review. I'm now impatient to get my hands on this book. I don't necessarily enjoy angel/fallen angel books either, but I've been making exceptions to a selected few -- this one included.

message 14: by Bridget (last edited May 06, 2012 07:07PM) (new)

Bridget Although I still like vampire books..I find myself going towards the angel books...But I see why some dont like them...I've tried to start a series or two that I struggled to get through because they were poorly written to me (and usually, I will only finish one book in the series..if I finish it at all..Its rare I go on to the second if I dont like the first, in any series}...But others have loved...But I am one that I will read what ever gets and keeps my interest...Regardless of what it is...But I seem to be more "attracted" to YA Paranormal/Fantasy...And I like Historical fiction Slavery...Some of them anyway...

Ariana @Danielle: For me what makes this book better than many other angel books is the character development and the dynamics between some of the characters.. Not to mention that the angels are different in this book and this was really refreshing. I really hope that you will enjoy it as well.

@Amarise: I understand, I do the same.. if I don't like the first book I don't want lose any more time with the series (this has an exception though - I didn't quite like Delirium but for some reason I decided to give a try to the next one and I got to like it so much more).
As for the books I like, the dystopian genre seems to appeal the most to me, also I like some 'romantic cuties' here and there as they make me laugh a lot, but I have many favorites from both paranormal and fantasy as well. I usually try to read everytime a different kind of book such that I don't get bored.

message 16: by Sarina (new) - added it

Sarina Was recommended to me by a Goodreads n Varsity friend (Samia), but only after seeing the 5 stars you gave to this book did I want to read it. Heard from her that the heroine has other priorities besides love and she is a problem-solver, not a whiner; and now you say in your review that there is no insta-love, and lots of mystery! I just can't wait to get my hands on this book! It's been a long time since I've seen a book that promises to give me a good story, mystery, good-relationship building with subtle hints of a romance or just great friendship! I am happy. :)

Ariana This book received tons of love when it first came out and it was all (still is) well deserved.
For me this book was all that you hope for it to be (regarding plot, characters, relationships, mystery, world building), and then even some more. I really hope that you will love it just as much ;)

message 18: by Sarina (new) - added it

Sarina Ariana wrote: "This book received tons of love when it first came out and it was all (still is) well deserved.

Me too, Ari, me too. :D :D

Lectus God, I love that picture! Soooo Raphael!

Ariana Lectus wrote: "God, I love that picture! Soooo Raphael!"

That's what I thought when I first found it :)

message 21: by Joan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joan Fantastic review! Love your artwork!

Ariana I'll take credit only for the review, thanks :)
On my blog, the image links to the source where I found it. And I love it too and I think that it's perfect for this story.