Mike's Reviews > Moneyball: The Art of Winning an Unfair Game

Moneyball by Michael   Lewis

M 50x66

On further review, I'm cranking this up one star to four. It was a very entertaining read, and I really don't like baseball much. In fact, this exposed some nerdy things about baseball analysis that had previously escaped my attention, and made it so I can at least talk with hardcore baseball fans about team management strategy.

There are subtexts in this book, however, that require some analysis after you finish the book (and the afterword) to really drive them home. It's worth it.

This book is about heretical management ideas succeeding despite the status quo, and from a certain point of view, BECAUSE of the status quo.

This book is about analyzing markets for your own advantage (or that of your organization). Specifically, it's about finding value that nobody else has noticed, yet, and purchasing that value for pennies on the dollar before the market catches up.

This book is about how interesting real-life characters who were undervalued by the status quo succeeding because someone discovered how to value them.

It's for everyone, even non baseball fans like me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Moneyball.

December 20, 2011 – Started Reading