James's Reviews > Number the Stars

Number the Stars by Lois Lowry

bookshelves: 1-fiction, 2-fic-young-adult, 9-read-2018-08-august

As part of a children's book readathon I am hosting on my blog, Number the Stars by Lois Lowry was voted as a winner in the poll. We assigned this stellar Newbery Medal winner to this week and have been sharing all our reviews. Normally I'm not a fan of reading literature that delves into this subject matter, but given it was written for young adults / children, I thought it would be less painful. While it was definitely less harsh than a few other books I've read on the topic, it was still quite emotional. To think what cruel people condoned because of differences in humankind is atrocious, but this book was wonderful.

Lowry provides the right balance of positive and negative emotion ensuring readers aren't swept up entirely in pain. The beautiful tale of unconditional love and support versus horrible actions and words from soldiers standing guard in a foreign country really conveys the message to kids around ten years old. There were atrocities in the past and we can't hide them, but we can showcase them as tastefully as possible. Kudos to Lowry. I can't wait to take on more of her books later this year / next year!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Number the Stars.

August 15, 2018 – Started Reading
August 15, 2018 – Shelved
August 15, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
August 15, 2018 – Shelved as: 1-fiction
August 15, 2018 – Shelved as: 2-fic-young-adult
August 17, 2018 – Shelved as: 9-read-2018-08-august
August 17, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

Crystal's Book World ~ Crystal Cordova This book is still my childhood favorite. Great review!

James Thanks. Hope you are well! It was great.

message 3: by Karenita (new)

Karenita James, I used Number the Stars in my 5th grade classroom. I can distinctly remember the sound of the approaching black boots as the Germans approached. so well written. A stellar read for any age. Glad you liked it.

James Great recommendation, Karenita.