David Mytton's Reviews > Product Leadership: How Top Product Managers Launch Awesome Products and Build Successful Teams

Product Leadership by Richard  Banfield

liked it

I find it annoying how some howto-style books spend a lot of time explaining what they're going to tell you in the next section and chapters. It feels like it's dumbing down the content to a) tell you what you're about to be told; b) tell you; c) summarise what they just told you. That might be fine in a speech or verbal talk but it's tedious and unnecessary in print. At least for me. Maybe it does work though because this is an O'Reilly book and they are a successful publisher of this kind of content.

Aside from that stylistic issue, I found this book to be quite good at understanding ideal team structures and management approaches, but less helpful on the actual day to day of how a product manager should approach their role. There was a lot of high level discussion of what leadership vs execution looks like, and it also does a good job of separating stage specific advice for small, medium and large companies.

I would have liked to see more in depth interviews from many of the expert product managers quoted, to learn more about their own experiences at the various companies.

It's worth a read for someone getting into product management for the first time, or someone who is in the process of building a product management team structure. However, a lot of it should be skimmed and perhaps used as a reference to come back to when needed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Product Leadership.

August 14, 2018 – Started Reading