Char 's Reviews > Inspection

Inspection by Josh Malerman

bookshelves: dark-fiction, net-galley, arc, psychological-horror

INSPECTION is a wildly imaginative and thought-provoking tale!

What would happen if boys were raised without any knowledge of the opposite sex? That's the basic premise behind this book, (there's more to it, but I won't get spoiler-y.) Just think about that for a minute, think about what would be involved. How to explain where the boys came from, for instance? How to explain puberty and changes to the body? The answer to those questions and more is easy. You LIE. And what happens when those lies are discovered? You'll have to read INSPECTION to find out!

I've never read a story quite like this before. That's a good thing. Josh Malerman's work may not always work 100% for me, but at this point, I know that I can always count on him for an original tale.

There were a few moments when the narrative took a completely different direction, the first one worked for me and worked well. But the second one? Not so much. I didn't think that much of a change was totally believable and I deducted one star for that. Don't get me wrong: I did enjoy the denouement, but I don't think it will work for everyone.

I had a LOT of fun reading this and stayed up way too late last night to finish it. When I'm willing to sacrifice the next day at work, to stay up reading- because I just have to know? That's a sign of a great book to me, and if you decide to try out INSPECTION? It might be good to arrange to have the next day off.

Recommended!

Get your copy here: https://amzn.to/2UdNPUC

*Thanks to Del-Rey and NetGalley for the e-ARC of this book in exchange for my honest feedback. This is it.*

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Inspection.

August 14, 2018 – Shelved
August 14, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
January 3, 2019 – Shelved as: dark-fiction
January 3, 2019 – Shelved as: net-galley
March 22, 2019 – Started Reading
March 22, 2019 – Shelved as: arc
March 23, 2019 –
March 25, 2019 –
32.0% "I was a bit confused at first, but I'm glad I hung in there. Now I'm just intrigued. :)"
March 26, 2019 –
March 26, 2019 –
March 27, 2019 –
March 27, 2019 –
75.0% "Yeah...I'mma finish this tonight and I can't wait! (But I HAVE to.)"
March 27, 2019 – Finished Reading
March 28, 2019 – Shelved as: psychological-horror

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by j e w e l s (new) - added it

j e w e l s Oooh can’t wait to read it!

Char I hope you enjoy it, when you get to it!