Chloe Noland's Reviews > The Mind-Body Problem

The Mind-Body Problem by Rebecca Goldstein

47952052

liked it

I was drawn to Goldstein because of the way her books are described as "fictional philosophy," which sounded interesting, especially since she has a degree in the field and has spoken about morality through philosophical (as opposed to religious) lenses. This is her first novel, published in 1983, and although I could appreciate above all her ruminations on the mind-body problem (which I want to read more about now) the novel itself was a very basic, unhappy-marriage-leads-to-adultery plot, the narrator not even really pretending to disguise the fact that she is based heavily on the author. I think if I had read this in high school or college there would not be much that would stand out about it for me, years later. Still, it made me want to learn more about how specific theories in philosophy can be used as metaphorical guideposts in fiction, something that I maybe have seen before but not zeroed in on specifically.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mind-Body Problem.

August 14, 2018 – Shelved