Jacqueline's Reads's Reviews > The Devilish Duke

The Devilish Duke by Maddison Michaels

4197769

bookshelves: 5-stars-favorites, historical, v-card, single-parent

5 Stars

This is my first Maddison Michaels book and oh boy did this one take me by surprise. I will admit I don’t take chances on historical romance authors. I’m very picky on how I like my stories to be told, but Maddison Michaels surprised all my expectations.

The Devilish duke is a perfect read. It kept me interested from the very first page to the very last page. I was sucked into the story and although it is a meaty book I never wanted it to end. When I finished reading it, I wanted to read it again and I even tried to see if there was an audio version. There is not.

The Devilish Duke is my top historical romance read of the read and I think everyone needs to take a chance on this one.

As a debut book I am very impressed. It’s very hard to write an accurate and believable historical romance book. Although there are a few things I question, overall, I enjoyed the story a lot.

The best part of the book is the story building and developing the characters. You believe in the relationship between Sophie and Devlin and you will be rooting for them.

Sophie is a Lady and she has one priority, to manage an Orphanage. She cares for the children and I really do love that. She doesn’t care about gossip or society. She wants to do good and if she can’t find love, she’s okay in not marrying.

I really loved Sophie’s character. I love how independent she was and what a good heart she had.

Devlin is known as a rake and cad. He loves the ladies and is in no rush to be married. Why would he, he’s a duke? BUT when a business opportunity presents himself and he has to get married, he’s willing to do everything he can to marry a respectable lady, like Sophie.

What I like most about this book is that the plot isn’t about Devlin getting married to obtain a business deal. Sophie knows it’s not a love match and Devlin is very straight forward in his expectations. The main story is Devlin and Sophie getting to know each other.

The side plot and storyline is fun to read too! Someone is killing people and it was a nice read to see who it is.

I really enjoyed this book and I can’t believe there isn’t another book for me to binge read, because that is what I do when I find new authors. This will not be my last Maddison Michaels read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Devilish Duke.

August 14, 2018 – Started Reading
August 14, 2018 – Shelved
August 14, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

message 1: by Gretchen (new)

Gretchen  (About That Story) Great review, sounds awesome! I'm adding it to my TBR. :-)

Monika Great review, I’m counting on your five stars.

Caroline There is an Audible version. I'm listening to it now.