Helen's Reviews > Troll Or Derby

Troll Or Derby by Red Tash

it was ok
bookshelves: roller-derby, fairy-tales, faithful-besotted-hero, fantasy, reviewed, young-adult, rock-n-roll

I wanted to love this book so bad but I just didn't get on with it. I found the story too far-fetched and the characters didn't grab me.

The idea is fun, a teenage girl doesn't realise she's actually a fairy until her sister is kidnapped by a troll but are too many holes in the story and too much that doesn't make sense. The plot jumps around so fast that the scenes are never filled out and allowed to come to life.

Why was Deb's sister kidnapped? And why was she left as her protector anyway? That never made sense to me. And as much as I love roller derby it felt very out of place in the story. It was put in there just because.

Deb herself I didn't find likeable. She didn't have personality over than she roller skates. And I didn't get her humour, her jokes I just found irritating.

The saving grace of the whole book is that Harlow is an absolute sweetheart. By far the best character in the book.

So generally just a bit of a mess with too much going on. Though I would read another book about Harlow in a second.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Troll Or Derby.

August 14, 2018 – Started Reading