Katherine Paschal's Reviews > Queen of Ruin

Queen of Ruin by Tracy Banghart

*Review can be found at https://smadasbooksmack.blogspot.com/

Now this, this is the rebellion book everyone needs in their lives. Queen of Ruin was so good, so good, that I had goosebumps on my arms during one of the (many) freaking intense scenes near the end, and I could not put the book down, I had to keep going until I reach the conclusion. And what an ending it was too! I am happy to report that there is no cliff hanger, things are very well wrapped up to my judgey satisfaction...but that is not to say I don't hope there will be a next book, with different kinds of problems to overcome but with awesome new Graces waiting in the wings.

Nomi continued, her voice steady and clear in contrast to her wild, unsteady heart. “In particular, the women of Viridia have suffered. We have been broken down, stripped of our choices, our agency, our dignity. We have paid a heavy price for fear. Women once ruled this country”— a gasp from the assemblage—“ until they were erased. We have hidden our queens and subjugated their descendants. But no longer.”

I know that I have said this before, but I really love Serina. Here is this girl who was raised to master the art of being beautiful, gentle, compliant, but instead she is thrown into a situation she could never have prepared for and she thrives. This girl is so kick ass, she is who I want to be when I grow up. She is not interested in being in charge, getting power or recognition, she just wants to do the right things for everyone- which in turn makes her the best leader possible. And she is not afraid to get her hands dirty in battle. I cheered her on in every scene, regardless of the violence she had to use to overcome. Side note, she totally wears the pants in her relationship with Val, who is most certainly the sweet, tenderhearted one out of the two of them.

And that brings me to the other voice in the story, Nomi. I struggled with Nomi in the first book and I will admit that I still struggled with her here. Her action have lead her family down this path of heartache but I really do not think she learned her lesson. Sure she is on the right direction for atonement, but still I think she had a much easier time than Serina ever had. But maybe while Serina had to 180 her personality to survive, Nomi has to live with the mental anguish forever, no physical stress can rid her of the demons.
Queen of Ruin took Grace and Fury and amped it a notch. This was an intense ride that had me on the edge of my seat, full of non-stop battles and plot twists I never could have seen coming. Tracy knows how to suck a girl into her dark world for certain and I will gladly come back for more. I highly recommend this series for anyone who likes dark action packed story with an almost dystopian feel - and lots of murder.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Queen of Ruin.

August 13, 2018 – Shelved