Chaima ✨ شيماء 's Reviews > Ninth House

Ninth House by Leigh Bardugo
Rate this book
Clear rating

by
42130592
's review

it was ok
bookshelves: 2019-releases, fantasy, fiction, adult

Full review now posted HERE on my blog

I'm going to retreat into this story and personally give Darlington a massage. His back muscles must be so tired from carrying the entire weight of this book.

Trigger Warnings (courtesy of Roe): rape of a child, sexual assault under influence of a magical drug, drowning, heavy violence, gore, drug addiction, overdosing, death, suicide, blackmail, self-harm, and forced consumption of human waste.
1373 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ninth House.
Sign In »

Reading Progress

August 13, 2018 – Shelved
October 13, 2019 – Started Reading
October 14, 2019 –
page 47
10.26% "both Alex and Darlington are so much my type (rough around the edges, sarcastic, morally fraudulent, antagonistic, have a residue of danger about them, probably need a punch to the face) that I’m genuinely mad at my own predictability....send a thirst aid kit!"
October 15, 2019 –
page 101
22.05% ""I class profanity with declarations of love. Best used sparingly and only when wholeheartedly meant."

Darlington belongs in a garbage can, and the garbage can is my heart."
October 19, 2019 –
page 248
54.15% "so who's gonna take one for the team and write a fanfic about Darlington and Gansey meeting up and immediately hitting it off when they discover their shared love for history, the occult and the arcane. everyone else just slowly walking away from their frenzied, fevered conversation when they start quoting obscure text at each other. the amount of chaotic energy they'd radiate....just *chef's kiss*"
October 25, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-50 of 110 (110 new)


message 1: by Jessica (new) - added it

Jessica Wellman Thanks for finding all of these great 2019 releases because now I dont have to do the work. I appreciate your efforts hahaha


Chaima ✨ شيماء Jessica wrote: "Thanks for finding all of these great 2019 releases because now I dont have to do the work. I appreciate your efforts hahaha"

aww thank u <3 this is it. my contribution to the universe


message 3: by Brigid (new) - added it

Brigid OCCULT? OH THAT IS SO MY THING.


message 4: by Artemis (new) - added it

Artemis Delacroix Seems like a long way off from the Grisha-verse of which we've come to know her... I'm sure this will be as good, if not, then better than her previous works.


Chaima ✨ شيماء Brigid wrote: "OCCULT? OH THAT IS SO MY THING."

RIGHT??? this has the potential to be so epic and I can't wait!!!


message 6: by Chaima ✨ شيماء (last edited Mar 19, 2019 02:36AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Chaima ✨ شيماء Artemis wrote: "Seems like a long way off from the Grisha-verse of which we've come to know her... I'm sure this will be as good, if not, then better than her previous works."

Oh, agreed!


♠ TABI ♠ I AM LIVING FOR THE VIBES OF THAT COVER!!!


message 8: by Tib (new)

Tib I'm tentatively excited for this after the huge disappointment from King of Scars. As this is not even close to the Grishaverse, it has no expectations that comes with a title within that realm, but I wasn't a huge fan of her writing in KoS and I'm a little worried this will fall short too. Only time will tell.


message 9: by kristy ☻ (new) - added it

kristy ☻ Following you was the best thing i’ve done because you find incredible books 🙌🏼💛


Chaima ✨ شيماء ♠️ Tabi ♠️ wrote: "I AM LIVING FOR THE VIBES OF THAT COVER!!!"

ITS SO DARK LIKE YES I CANT WAIT FOR THIS TO MESS ME UP


Chaima ✨ شيماء Tib wrote: "I'm tentatively excited for this after the huge disappointment from King of Scars. As this is not even close to the Grishaverse, it has no expectations that comes with a title within that realm, bu..."

omg I actually adored KOS but you’re absolutely valid!!! And I agree, I’m so looking forward to reading something entirely different from the grishaverse!!!


Chaima ✨ شيماء Kristy ☻ wrote: "Following you was the best thing i’ve done because you find incredible books 🙌🏼💛"

YOURE SO KIND IM SO GLAD IM GONNA CRY


stabsasawarning &#x1f5e1;️ This IS science 👌🏽


Chaima ✨ شيماء Feral goblin child 🍃 wrote: "This IS science 👌🏽"

U KNOW WHAT? U RIGHT


Agalic I AM STALKING THAT PARCEL LIKE A HAWK. CANNOT CONTAIN EXCITEMENT.


message 16: by Roe (new) - rated it 2 stars

Roe hey!!! so I had an arc & thought I would share the tws for the book: rape of a child, sexual assault under influence of a magical drug, drowning, heavy violence, gore, drug addiction, overdosing, death, suicide, blackmail, self harm, and forced consumption of human waste. if it works for some of you guys, great!! but I don't want anyone to get caught off guard w/ a trigger


message 17: by Marley (new) - added it

Marley I'm only 25th in line on the hold list at the library 🙄 and @Roe that definitely explains why it wasn't in YA..


Chaima ✨ شيماء Agalic wrote: "I AM STALKING THAT PARCEL LIKE A HAWK. CANNOT CONTAIN EXCITEMENT."

BIG MOOD


message 19: by Chaima ✨ شيماء (last edited Oct 08, 2019 03:53PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Chaima ✨ شيماء Roe wrote: "hey!!! so I had an arc & thought I would share the tws for the book: rape of a child, sexual assault under influence of a magical drug, drowning, heavy violence, gore, drug addiction, overdosing, d..."

it’s so kind of you to share the TWs, thank you for the heads-up! This sounds rough 😳


Chaima ✨ شيماء Marley wrote: "I'm only 25th in line on the hold list at the library 🙄 and @Roe that definitely explains why it wasn't in YA.."

Someone on twitter mentioned that they were 99th rip but I hope you get to read it soon!


message 21: by Lexie (new) - added it

Lexie Whoa those trigger warnings kind of freak me out...


message 22: by Kirstin (new) - added it

Kirstin Starting it NOW! Thanks for the warnings @Roe 🖤


Chaima ✨ شيماء Lexie wrote: "Whoa those trigger warnings kind of freak me out..."

same lol


Chaima ✨ شيماء Kirstin wrote: "Starting it NOW! Thanks for the warnings @Roe 🖤"

Hope you love it!


message 25: by LM (new)

LM Oh wow, thank you for the trigger warnings I just removed it from my TBR - this in NOT for me.


message 26: by Roe (new) - rated it 2 stars

Roe yeah no problem! to those reading it, hope you enjoy it!


Chaima ✨ شيماء LM wrote: "Oh wow, thank you for the trigger warnings I just removed it from my TBR - this in NOT for me."

That’s valid!


Chaima ✨ شيماء Roe wrote: "yeah no problem! to those reading it, hope you enjoy it!"

💕


message 29: by Yasmeena (new) - added it

Yasmeena Elmahdy I was interested in this until the self-harm part. Thank you so much for those <3


message 30: by Christina (new)

Christina Is there any romance in this novel? Or is it mostly a murder mystery?


Jenn(Storyas_blog) Oh hell no! I pass


message 32: by Abi (new) - added it

Abi Wow, out of the YA genre and into dark stuff. That is gonna be different


message 33: by Mylady •ᴥ• (last edited Oct 09, 2019 11:42PM) (new) - added it

Mylady •ᴥ• Holly shi3t! Why am I not reading this?!!! This is going to be a Love or Hate book. XD

btw what is your fav thriller book? :)


Trisha Andrea Oh no!! That’s a lot. But I still want to read it. Because it’s Leigh Bardugo


Trisha Andrea If I don’t like it, well who knows 😂


Chaima ✨ شيماء Yasmeena wrote: "I was interested in this until the self-harm part. Thank you so much for those <3"

That's very valid <3


Chaima ✨ شيماء Christina wrote: "Is there any romance in this novel? Or is it mostly a murder mystery?"

I haven't read it yet, so I honestly don't know :/


message 38: by Monica (new)

Monica Aaaaannnnd I'm out. More than one trigger for me personally. Thanks for putting this out there. I had heard there were triggers in it, but I hadn't seen anyone specify so I wasn't sure.


message 39: by Diana (new) - added it

Diana OH MY GOD!!!! These triggers are gonna scar me for life!!!!
I still want to read it tho :P


message 40: by Brigid (new) - added it

Brigid I think if you're going to think about reading this book this is a good interview to read. This book centers trauma and those of us that have been through trauma, but it's also important to figure out if you need to protect yourself from reading this book. I do think she's starting some interesting conversations around trauma but like I said figure out whether it's for you. And that's perfectly legit and okay. There are some books I can't read because of my triggers. Leigh Bardugo interview on Ninth House


Chaima ✨ شيماء Jenn(Storyas_blog) wrote: "Oh hell no! I pass"

That’s valid!


Chaima ✨ شيماء Sara wrote: "Wow, out of the YA genre and into dark stuff. That is gonna be different"

Oh, definitely!


Chaima ✨ شيماء Mylady •ᴥ• wrote: "Holly shi3t! Why am I not reading this?!!! This is going to be a Love or Hate book. XD

btw what is your fav thriller book? :)"


I think so too lol

oohh The Lost Man by Jane Harper because I picked it up for the mystery bit and didn’t expect to grow so strongly attached to the main character (whom I would die for btw)


message 44: by Lomahongva (new)

Lomahongva Uh,... WoW! Now I doubt if reading It ir not 😲


MischaS_ I fear what does it say about me that I went through the list and did not mind any being in the book until the last one. "forced consumption of human waste" seriously freaked me out!


message 46: by Katie (new)

Katie Would you say these are portrayed in a depressing pov?


message 47: by Deena (new)

Deena Thanks very much to those who contributed to the trigger warning list


CATastrophe I only knew a little bit of the plot at the start, and the fact that Leigh Bardugo wrote it. But if she’s saying she wrote a book thats going to f*ck me up, I’m all in.


message 49: by selina ☾ (new) - added it

selina ☾ I'm glad I saw the trigger warnings before YOLO-ing it and just reading... just reading that list stressed me tf out


message 50: by Monica (new)

Monica Brigid wrote: "I think if you're going to think about reading this book this is a good interview to read. This book centers trauma and those of us that have been through trauma, but it's also important to figure ..."

This is a really good article, but personally I can't handle graphic depictions of horrible things happening to children. It literally haunts me for years so I can't do that to myself. Maybe I'll wait and see (when more people read it) how graphic those parts are because I am interested in the story as a whole. Or maybe I can skip those parts? I don't know, but no book is worth torturing myself with that stuff. I'm too visual of a person and highly empathetic. Thanks for linking the article!


« previous 1 3
back to top