Ashley Houser's Reviews > The Chalk Man

The Chalk Man by C.J. Tudor

liked it
bookshelves: listened-to-audiobook

The Chalk Man is one of those books I picked up at the library because I was truly enticed by the cover. Judging books by their covers? Sorry, but I do it.

C.J. Tudor tells the story of a group of young books and their relationship to a series of murders that happen in 1986. In all honesty, it gave me some Steven Spielberg vibes in that it involved a group of young kids in a 1980's context (a la Goonies or Super 8), but had this weird serial killer aspect to it as well. It flips back and forth from past to present, and the change in timeline I found to be enjoyable.

I also really enjoyed the characters, from the derogatory nicknames they all gave each other (such a typical boy thing to do), their dialogue with each other, and how they acted toward each other. Their interactions were all indicative of how young boys in the 80's would treat each other and I found that element of the book extremely well written.

What aspect didn't I like? It was relatively unbelievable, and I had a hard time with the "whodunit" conclusion in the end. I didn't find the unfolding of events all that likely or convincing. However, I will say that despite not particularly enjoying the ending, the author did do a good job of tying up all the loose ends.

From an audiobook aspect, the narration was all right. It was nothing spectacular.

Overall, I would call this one just okay. It really didn't wow me but it's still worth the read or listen if you find that the opportunity presents itself.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Chalk Man.

August 13, 2018 – Started Reading